Specialized Diverge

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Some specs have emerged, mainly on non-English sites - here they are I had vague ambitions of replacing my Tricross with a Roubaix, but this has leapt right into the reckoning. I can't see a single thing on the specification that I'd be thinking of replacing before it wore out
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    Basically it's a Sirrus with drop bars... I hate it... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Giraffoto
    The geometry may be similar but the frame itself is different - and the combination of 11-speed 105, hydraulic brakes and Praxis Works taking care of the bottom bracket/chainset has to be a redeeming feature, surely?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    As a commuter/winter bike/gravel grinder seems suitable, as a cyclocross bike it doesn't seem quite right...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looks like a Giant Revolt rival. I rode the giant and it was a good bike for the activities Ugo mentioned and for trails but not for racing, this appears to be geared towards the gravel racing scene which is pretty big in the US at the moment
  • Giraffoto
    Well, Specialized have announced the UK spec (while I was on holiday) and it looks like the Diverge is off my shopping list anyway - there's no mid-spec carbon framed version for the UK. In fact, Specialized have done a couple of odd things for this season - the Tricross has vanished and the Crux is only available with disks. I expect the two carbon Cruxes are aimed at the gap in the Diverge range.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Crux Evo is a better do it all bike, carbon too...a lower BB height than the standard Crux, so a bit more stable descending and when cornering on the loose surfaces, so the blurb tells me. I recently got one, and will certainly be using it for local cross races.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103

No it isnt.

The base alloy frame is identical to the secteur.

which suggests the carbon frames will be similar to the Roubaix.
  • carrock wrote:

No it isnt.

The base alloy frame is identical to the secteur.

which suggests the carbon frames will be similar to the Roubaix.
    ....and that's why I have bought one.

It's basically a Roubaix with disc brakes and the ability to take bigger tyres.

Perfect for my winter bike plans.
  • Giraffoto
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    ....I have bought one.

It's basically a Roubaix with disc brakes and the ability to take bigger tyres.

Perfect for my winter bike plans.

Don't wait for Winter, ride it now and tell us what it's like!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Any feedback on the diverge? It looks interesting
  • Stueys wrote:
    Any feedback on the diverge? It looks interesting
    I collected it today and did 40k or so on it. Tarmac, a few gravel roads and several cattle grids.

It's very very similar to my Roubaix. Feel wise I would say the only difference is down to the wheels and the wider tyres. I have 25mm GP4000 with Kysyrium Elites on the Roubaix. Stock Axis 4 with 32mm on the Diverge.

To me it's a perfect winter road and cycle track bike. I can put mudguards on if needed, and chunky tyres. I can pretend to do cyclocross if I want to, but it's not really a proper cyclocross bike.

The brakes are superb, and the Phenom saddle is so comfortable I am not going to put it on EBay!
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    I have a 2014 Giant Revolt 2 and I'd say the Diverge looks more like the Anyroad model more than the Revolt.
    Had mine a few weeks now and it's the perfect commute bike or just get out and have some fun bike.
    I was commuting on a 140mm travel Trance once a week which I now know was completely unsuitable for my morning ride but since I've owned the Revolt I've upped it to twice a week and not changed my route in ( Road, Gravel Paths, Dirt Tracks)
    These are never CX bikes but they are alot of fun if you find road riding as dull as.....