superstar pads squealing

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
recently started using superstar break pads for cost reasons, but they squeal like a stuck pig.

no change in the bike set up since switching from EBC pads, so must be the superstars. have cleaned the rotor and realigned the caliper in an effort to get rid of the squeal, but to no avail.

only thing that stops the noise is wetting the pads, but soon as they start to dry out again the pig noises are back.

happy with the pads performance and cost, but the noise is gettig right on my nerves. any ideas?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What type are you using?

The Kevlar have been great for me. Run many sets and never had a problem. They do make noise in the wet but so have every set of brakes and type of pads I've used.
  • sofaboy73
    sintered. as i say, strangley it's when they're dry that they make the most noise.
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    I just ordered some organic ones from superstar, as reading the reviews of the sintered ones, they do squeal, other people have mentioned it.
  • You've contaminated the pads, end of. There is no other reason they would squeal
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rubbish. Brakes can be noisy. Too much faffing about doesn't help, and generally makes things worse.
    If they work just try using them for a bit. Often just stops (for a while)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have read with superstar sintered pads people have wet them to help bed them in better, you could try it.

Sintered will make noise as it's metal on metal abrasion but shouldn't squeal.

I'm not happy with superstar pads especially the Kevlar ones but gonna give organic a try.

Any one use uber bike pads heard the race matrix ones are great.
  • cooldad
    I believe that SS, Uber etc. all come out of the same factory with different logos.

Sintered are often noisy in the dry, but last longer in wet and gritty conditions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Wish I hadn't clicked on this thread, I now have the mental image of the Deliverance pig scene :?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my superstar kevlar squeal (not all the time) my uberbike kevlar didn't. There is also a noticable difference in first bite between the two. Will be going back to uberbike on payday.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sintered take a while to bed in I reckon you need to do at least 100 offroad miles before they feel right and stop squealing and grinding all the time. I find if you just potter about they never work properly they need to be hammered hard. I did a road and cycle path ride to Blackpool and back last year on my HT and after 80miles my brakes sounded like an angry goose. Took a 15mile mudandgritathon before they stopped honking.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Did you bed them in properly when you first fitted them? Dragging brakes (poor technique) can also cause squealing, or so I'm led to believe...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Chunkers1980
    What's the poor technique you're led to believe?
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Wish I hadn't clicked on this thread, I now have the mental image of the Deliverance pig scene :?

you sure gotta preddy mouth...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • swod1
    Lewis A wrote:
    Did you bed them in properly when you first fitted them? Dragging brakes (poor technique) can also cause squealing, or so I'm led to believe...

yes maybe so but i've had two sets of superstar kevlar pads glaze and be ruined rather too easily even after bedding in with 10+ hard stops but not locking the wheels as stated on the packaging.

is there a 100% quaranteed way to bed in disc brake pads anyway to avoid problems, i've read many ways which are all different?

sofaboy73, why did you change from ebc pads as the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Using them has worked for me every time. Take from that what you like.
  • cooldad
    Using them has worked for me every time. Take from that what you like.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^
    Fit, ride, forget.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Rubbish. Brakes can be noisy. Too much faffing about doesn't help, and generally makes things worse.
    If they work just try using them for a bit. Often just stops (for a while)

Mine only squeal (sintered or otherwise) if they are contaminated.

Possibly i'm overlooking correct bedding in processes being followed as a given, so you have a point i suppose
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have been using Uberbike & Superstar sintered pads for a few years and with various different brakes. No squealing from either and they both feel exactly the same.
    I have never bothered to bed them in, occasionally fitting new pads right before heading up the hill for a downhill race run.
  • sofaboy73
    [quote="swod1"

sofaboy73, why did you change from ebc pads as the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?[/quote]

purely cost, got fed up of paying £17 a pair, only for the peak district grinding paste to destroy them in half a dozen rides.
  • swod1
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    sofaboy73, why did you change from ebc pads as the saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?
    purely cost, got fed up of paying £17 a pair, only for the peak district grinding paste to destroy them in half a dozen rides.

You was using organic pads previously then?

Try putting some water on the pads and give them another run in or go for a really muddy ride maybe?
  • Always use SS sintered. Never had any issue unless contaminated. Suggest you use them when it's wet, crap, and gloopy - which will be in about 4 weeks :) - and they'll probably be fine.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I had issues with all the SS pads with squeeling, then went over to Nukeproof (trail and enduro). Nukeproof pads had excellent longevity, excellent bite in all conditions, just the tinyest of high pitched sound on initial contact, excellent modulation... only thing was the price for 1 set. Decided to plunge on Uberbike pads (the race compound) on their special offer, and just wish I hadn't now. Modulation and power is not as good and I find the pads tend to glaze very quickly, but for the price difference I think they are worth it, although Nukeproof for me from now on.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    My superstar sintered pads are silent.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SS and Uberbike sell the same pads, just the cardboard is different in the packaging.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    SS and Uberbike sell the same pads, just the cardboard is different in the packaging.

colours are different too - SS kevlar red, uberbike kevlar are orange