Cyclocross Bikes - MTB trail centres

nufc_fan
nufc_fan Posts: 70
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
So I think a cyclocross bike is perfect for 90% of the riding I do, wagon ways, bridleways etc. occasionally head up to lieder or Hamsterley, nothing more extreme than the red routes, how would a cross bike behave on these? I'm generally quite cautious over rockey areas especially descents but tend to enjoy faster riding on more flowing trails.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Check out this link http://youtu.be/OgoY3T3crZc

Guess what I'm saying is you should be fine
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Great vid that, thanks for posting.

I use a CX bike at Hammy and Keilder, get the widest tyres you can fit on it and it s great fun, just dont follow DH bikes on the jumps -)
  • The bike should handle it fine, the skill will be with the rider, on anything Red/Black I personally would prefer some flat bars, with shifters and hydraulic brakes to hand, and a lower top tube - my TriCross canti brakes and narrow tyres would scare me at time. I wouldn't mind trying something like the Salsa Fargo, but would still miss Hydraulic brakes.
  • nufc_fan
    nufc_fan Posts: 70
    Thanks, looking at a disc equipped cross bike, something like a Boardman CX.

That video is great, although I bet he would be better than most on a MTB using a carbon road bike.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Did discuss CX bikes on trails with a guy based in Lakes who owned a shed load of different types of bikes. He said he often chose his Cx bike instead of a MTB for rides in the Lakes with his MTB friends. His view was it was slower of rocky downhills but on singletracks and the inevitable linking roads it was as fast or faster than MTBs. Said he had ridden it over most of the main routes in the LAkes (main/popular rides).

Also, was walking on my local canal towpath and watched as a group of very muddy MTBers rode past, using the towpath to avoid the A6 road that runs in the same direction. One by one I saw a collection of ,muddy full suspension bikes go past with the odd hardtail. All of them looking like expensive machines. Then I saw them a bit closer up when I was walking back past the pub they had stopped at. The bike that went through first I had missed (was turning around talking to my other half) was a CXer similarly mud covered. Think they had ridden through somewhere in the forest of bowland. Either way they had been out enjoying a muddy off road experience. In fact IIRC there was more than one CX bike there. First time I had seen a muddy CX bike other than the local Cx race in Blackburn when a kid and the world cup at Leeds way back when I was at uni.

Anyway, I think if the rider is good enough then a good CX bike is also good enough. All I know is I handle my road bike a lot better than one of those flat bar bikes. It is a little bit of what you are used to. I have about 33 years experience with drop bars and about a year or a year and a half with a flat bar. I'm all over the place at times on the flat bar bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A CX bike is a bit like the old early 1990's rigid mountain bikes. You get beaten up on the rougher stuff but on smooth straight trails and roads you can fly along.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    The only trail centre I've ridden on mine is Swinley and it manages the blue and red trails with no problems.

I've also had it out on some longer 75+ mile rides into the Surrey Hills and managed all the usual single track around there that I ride on my MTB. Some of the really rough and root trails can give you a bit of a battering but otherwise it's fine.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Great vid that, thanks for posting.

I use a CX bike at Hammy and Keilder, get the widest tyres you can fit on it and it s great fun, just dont follow DH bikes on the jumps -)

Chris has some sponsorship with mongoose but shows that the bikes are pretty tough enough unless you trying to land a massive jump when a full sus would take the hit.

If you YouTube bike party you'll see what can be done on a road bike and might be surprised how robust the bikes/wheels are
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    have been round Llandegla on my CX, great fun but your wrists dont thank you from the rigid fork and vibes. techie stuff is hard and your weight distibution is a bit different as well.
  • frazered wrote:
    have been round Llandegla on my CX, great fun but your wrists dont thank you from the rigid fork and vibes. techie stuff is hard and your weight distibution is a bit different as well.

The red route or the blue route?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was up in Peebles a few weeks ago and took my CX bike to Glentress and Innerleithin plus up into the local hills - I did swap the chainset for an MTB double. Rode all the reds, blues and a fair bit of black at both. Blues were great, because the trails are so well groomed - reds a bit more of a challenge and blacks a test at times. Rode all the way up to the top at Glentress and came down Spooky Woods - second time around, came down Betty Blue rather than Super G which was more cut-up. Blue Velvet was a blast, railing the top of the berms. Innerleithin certainly a bit more 'natural' - the climb up Minch Mhor took a good 40 minutes of hard work - lack of grooming and plenty rocks make the consequences of getting it wrong far more painful - coming down Caddon Bank first time gave me a bit of a surprise and had to stay 'committed' over the drop-offs. Even passed a few MTBs on the techie stuff - much to their surprise. I started riding MTBs pre-suspension, so CX is a natural extension - both my MTBs are rigid too. 41mm Surly Knards on the CX were great - nice, big round carcass and side knobs were grippy - even riding what can be best described as loose scree over Dollar Law had me working hard and had to ride about a mile of open heather between trails over peat hags. Great days out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've taken my cross bike to Hamsterly, Gisburn and Dalby.

Red routes can be a bit wearing without any front suspension (you end up bunny hopping constantly up rocks etc). I also pinch flatted on very rocky stuff.

Actual mountain biking on bridleways across moors etc. is great fun on the cross bike.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    It's more about the skill of the rider, I took mine round a red route and it was fine APART from the fact it was wet and I had cantis so I could bareley stop... I have discs now and I took the bike down the trails at Danbury all the guys ride on the downhill rigs with body armour. Just don't try and jump or you'll end up in A&E.