Does it suck hard enough?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,316
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
[Knew you'd look at this one Arran]

Ahead of EU regs which will prohibit the sale and importation of certain electrical goods exceeding 1600 watts, the masses have gone out to buy Hoovers hand over fist despite retailers being able to sell them until their stocks run out.
Bit ironic considering that this was a move to reduce carbon emissions.
I just wonder how those softie southerners are going to cope with underpowered hair dryers...
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    We need to kick start the economy - quick, ban something :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    ...or if the government really want to reduce dangerous emissions they should STFU :D
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Will huge tellies be next? Eight slice toasters? Hair straighteners? What should we stock up on?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I fear carpet damage.
    Surely there's a limit on how hard you should suck...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    If it takes 3 minutes to dry your hair with a powerful hairdryer, it will take 5 minutes with a less powerful model.

What is the point exactly?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    The US seem to do fine with roombas - can't imagine their power consumption through a small battery is even near 1000W. Indeed I don't think it's even possible to get more than 1600W out of a standard US socket, and dysons use <1600W (their objection is that the testing methodology for cleaning power is flawed).

To put it into another perspective, a human might take 3-4 times as long as a vacumn cleaner - whilst consuming < 100W.
    Why anyone would want to protect what is clearly lazy engineering, and no more, is beyond me.
  • pinno
    If I had a 4000 watt hoover, it's not going to make me go like Ussain Bolt across the floor. There is a finite speed at which you can practically do the hoovering.

I agree with ROT; You could end up inhaling springy bits.
  • [Knew you'd look at this one Arran]

Ahead of EU regs which will prohibit the sale and importation of certain electrical goods exceeding 1600 watts, the masses have gone out to buy Hoovers hand over fist despite retailers being able to sell them until their stocks run out.
    I just wonder how those softie southerners are going to cope with underpowered hair dryers...

This is news to me.

Why exactly?

How about kettles? (2500 to 3000W)?
  • pinno
    [Knew you'd look at this one Arran]

This is news to me.

Why exactly?

Carbon emissions. Is your 'old boiler' 3000watts? impressive.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    Wonder how long before someone brings out a petrol engined vacuum cleaner, a la Young Ones?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Already exist :)

7a95d8064f1049c294347fda7790b45b.jpg

Powered by a low emissions engine, the new SH 86 C-E professional shredder vac/blower has increased vacuum power and shredding performance that will blow you away. Fuel efficient and operator-friendly, this shredder vac easily converts into a handheld blower. Equipped with features like a special shredder blade on the fan wheel that reduces garden waste, along with the STIHL ErgoStart system, soft grip handles and a four-spring anti-vibration system— you have all the necessary comfort elements to ensure a smooth start and help reduce operator fatigue.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Already exist :)

7a95d8064f1049c294347fda7790b45b.jpg

Powered by a low emissions engine, the new SH 86 C-E professional shredder vac/blower has increased vacuum power and shredding performance that will blow you away. Fuel efficient and operator-friendly, this shredder vac easily converts into a handheld blower. Equipped with features like a special shredder blade on the fan wheel that reduces garden waste, along with the STIHL ErgoStart system, soft grip handles and a four-spring anti-vibration system— you have all the necessary comfort elements to ensure a smooth start and help reduce operator fatigue.

The Makita 4 stroke one is better. All small 2 strokes have carb problems at some point (I have 8 of them!).
  • [Knew you'd look at this one Arran]

This is news to me.

Why exactly?

Carbon emissions. Is your 'old boiler' 3000watts? impressive.

I don't get it?

All kettles are 2500W ish give or take?

If it's true that hairdryers are to be limited to 1600W, that's utterly nuts. What's next? Low power toasters?
  • Someone earlier mentioned high powered kettles.................. I am under the impression they are on the list!!!!!!!
    But doesn't it take a fixed amount of energy to raise the heat of water??
    I am no scientist(stating the bloody obvious here).
    What I am trying to say is "if you heat a litre of water slowly over a low heat it will use the same amount of energy as heating it quickly to the same heat".
    I know what I'm trying to say, help me out someone and is that true or just incoherent rambling?
  • I decided to sell my hoover- it was just gathering dust.

(Tim Vine)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    these regs, seemingly a great idea around a "blue sky thinking" session in Strasburg, turn people off from the EU but
    Dyson on the other hand, don't produce any models over 1600w, no-one says they don't clean very well, so maybe there is sense in their argument?

I think they make 1600w plus hoovers because with a bag the suction plummets after short use ... :lol:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    mamba80 wrote:
    these regs, seemingly a great idea around a "blue sky thinking" session in Strasburg, turn people off from the EU but
    Dyson on the other hand, don't produce any models over 1600w, no-one says they don't clean very well, so maybe there is sense in their argument?

I think they make 1600w plus hoovers because with a bag the suction plummets after short use ... :lol:
    When my wife and I moved in together, she had a Dyson and i had an upright Electrolux hoover.
    The Dyson got passed on as it sucked, or rather, didn't. Pun intended.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • team47b
    Someone earlier mentioned high powered kettles.................. I am under the impression they are on the list!!!!!!!
    But doesn't it take a fixed amount of energy to raise the heat of water??
    I am no scientist(stating the bloody obvious here).
    What I am trying to say is "if you heat a litre of water slowly over a low heat it will use the same amount of energy as heating it quickly to the same heat".
    I know what I'm trying to say, help me out someone and is that true or just incoherent rambling?

Energy required to boil litre of water
    E = 2256 kJ/kg x 0.998 kg = 2251 kJ = 0.625 kW-hr
    Irrespective of source, slower would add energy required due to losses. So faster is better :D

Less water in the kettle is better than more watts.

efficiency would be: 1st electric kettle, 2nd microwave, 3rd gas, based on efficiency of the energy entering your house. However the overall efficiency would put gas in first place due to the losses of 50% to 70 % incurred in the generation of electricity from its base fuel, but I guess that's too big for a government to understand and they would have to invade somewhere to get cheaper gas :D

Not that I have given this any thought as I live in a solar powered house :roll:
  • I have now discovered to my astonishment that all this is true.

Lunacy.

We have people staying in our holiday houses that heat to 24'C when it's 18'C outside, using £200 of LPG in a week. How do you legislate against that?

Someone heating his house in the winter to 21'C against another at 20'C is using vastly more energy than if the latter guy happens to use a powerful hairdryer every now and again.......
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I just assumed the legislation was an attempt to reduce the severity of common injuries like these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 22/?page=1
  • If every device nowadays didn't have a standby setting with unnecessary lights; computers, indicators that glow even when the device is off; TV set indicators; routers; new-type remote-read electricity meters lighting up the room, then maybe reducing power on devices that could be built to work more efficiently would make some sense.

In most rooms in my home at night I can see by the light of all the devices with indicators. Yes, throwing power into inefficient devices makes no sense if improving their efficiency could do the job better at the same or lower wattage, however as has been pointed out. some tasks just take a fixed amount of energy and increasing the duration of their task makes little sense.

The way to save energy boiling a kettle of water is to boil a kettle half filled with water. There is one plus; with commercials now taking more like 5 minutes than 2 on many channels, you can miss more adverts while making the tea.
  • pinno
    I think TV's should have an auto off function during ad breaks.
    I think that the button for pedestrian crossings is too high for hedgehogs to reach.
    I think that electric tin openers are dangerous to hungry cats as the fur can get jam them up.
    I think dog owners should get their noses rubbed in it when they don't clean up after their dogs.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,419
    Does make me laugh when companies insist on building in little red lights into electrical products that come on to tell customers when their product is 'off'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    RDW wrote:
    I just assumed the legislation was an attempt to reduce the severity of common injuries like these:

I don't need to open that to figure out what's involved. It's dicks, isn't it? Always with the dicks.

I wonder if anyone with a little more EU knowledge could clarify - is there any safety directive or incentive towards having standby lights? I'm imagining something fire something lawsuit, but I may be wrong.

It's all a bit silly really. Our economies need heavy industry; heavy industry needs cheap energy; cheap energy means inefficient use of energy at a consumer level will happen. In some ways it seems a useful make-work project: manufacturers and consumers alike are complacent, throwing extra watts at the problem instead of actually hiring engineers to make them work better. But equally it's not going to change our energy demands drastically, and what the hell happened to giving consumers even a little trust to make a good choice themselves?
  • pinno
    airbag wrote:
    RDW wrote:

I don't... drastically, and what the hell happened to giving consumers even a little trust to make a good choice themselves?

Therein lies the problem, you've figured out the make work perpetual but most of the consumers are plain stupid.