One for engineers

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lead technician? You work with soft metals?
  • You can become a member of the institute of me by taking a series of rather tough exams.
    :shock:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling a pig in mud, after about an hour you find that the pig actually likes it.... :roll:
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I quite like the inclusion of an undercurrent of laziness; take an hour to run the calcs on (for example) on beam X or just spec one 50% larger and get the hell out of the office?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    DesB3rd wrote:
    I quite like the inclusion of an undercurrent of laziness; take an hour to run the calcs on (for example) on beam X or just spec one 50% larger and get the hell out of the office?

That's just bad engineering. Put in heavy steel to make calcs easier and then you need heavier steel to support that and a bigger crane to install it, pay more for the steel, take longer to mske it because it's awkward to work with and still have to produce calcs anyway and then get questioned about why this beam has a safety factor of 2.8 trillion.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    bg13 wrote:
    i fix war planes...

You win the thread.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Generally people who fix or build things designed by others are technicians, the thing they are building will have been designed by engineers!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    Generally people who fix or build things designed by others are technicians, the thing they are building will have been designed by engineers!

Thats a bit of a generalization. There's plenty of people making and fixing stuff who are definitely engineers, especially in bespoke machinery building, control systems and prototyping.
    There are also plenty of designers who are only really technicians. A lot of engineering businesses build lots of variations of the same things so all the real design and development was done years ago and the designers are just tweaking and modifying for specific applications.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    The Rookie wrote:
    Many job titles are protected, such as doctor, dentist, vet', even veterinary nurse recently, engineer is not one of them, though it is in many other countries (Germany for example).
    My Italian Grandfather was an engineer, worked for Nicola Romeo and went with him when he started Alfa Romeo, then went to work for the railways when he got married as it was more secure. In Italy engineers get to use the title Ing before their name, in the same way Dr is used here, it's a well respected job over there.
  • He didn't design Alfa electrics did he? If he did then he deserves no title at all
  • veronese68
    He didn't design Alfa electrics did he? If he did then he deserves no title at all
    Thankfully not, mind you they probably only had about 6 wires on those days.
  • 6 wires all the same colour and too small, earthed to the parts of the car most likely to corrode.
    Why didn't the Italian car industry die like the British car industry?
  • Why didn't the Italian car industry die like the British car industry?

Because they were crap but interesting. British cars were just crap.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    True this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Many job titles are protected, such as doctor, dentist, vet', even veterinary nurse recently, engineer is not one of them, though it is in many other countries (Germany for example).
    My Italian Grandfather was an engineer, worked for Nicola Romeo and went with him when he started Alfa Romeo, then went to work for the railways when he got married as it was more secure. In Italy engineers get to use the title Ing before their name, in the same way Dr is used here, it's a well respected job over there.
    As it is in Germany...... Trouble is due to misuse the general public don't really know what an Engineer is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Why didn't the Italian car industry die like the British car industry?

Because they were crap but interesting. British cars were just crap.

What about the Austin Allegro? Name one Italian car with a square steering wheel. They couldn't come up with something like that.
  • veronese68
    What about the Austin Allegro? Name one Italian car with a square steering wheel. They couldn't come up with something like that.
    I believe the term they used was "Quartic", because having a square steering wheel would be just plain stupid.
  • Name one Italian car with a square steering wheel.

La Ferrari.
  • Name one Italian car with a square steering wheel.

La Ferrari.

Ferrari copied the Allegro. They also copied the basic shape of the Austin Ambassador for the Ferrari Daytona.
  • Yes, I'm sure the Austin Allegro was their first point of reference when they were designing La Ferrari. And as for copying the Austin Ambassador for the Ferrari Daytona - only if you think having wheel at each corner is copying. You've clearly never seen an Ambassador, or never seen a Daytona. And then there's the small matter of the Daytona preceding the Ambassador by 14 years.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, I'm sure the Austin Allegro was their first point of reference when they were designing La Ferrari. And as for copying the Austin Ambassador for the Ferrari Daytona - only if you think having wheel at each corner is copying. You've clearly never seen an Ambassador, or never seen a Daytona. And then there's the small matter of the Daytona preceding the Ambassador by 14 years.
    The Ambassador was designed before the Daytona, in 1955 actually. It just took a while to get into production.
    There was a strike or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    Yes, I'm sure the Austin Allegro was their first point of reference when they were designing La Ferrari. And as for copying the Austin Ambassador for the Ferrari Daytona - only if you think having wheel at each corner is copying. You've clearly never seen an Ambassador, or never seen a Daytona. And then there's the small matter of the Daytona preceding the Ambassador by 14 years.
    I always thought the Rover SD1 was the basis of the Daytona.
  • cooldad wrote:
    The Ambassador was designed before the Daytona, in 1955 actually. It just took a while to get into production.

A strike at British Leyland? That doesn't sound right.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    cooldad wrote:

A strike at British Leyland? That doesn't sound right.

I think they had one as a joke after they had received the quality award
  • Only British Leyland cars were good enough to be able to sell in the horrible colours like baby turd green, prosthetic limb pink or projectile vomit yellow.