Freebie Dawes Ultra

Skinner2k3
Skinner2k3 Posts: 310
edited September 2014 in Your road bikes
Here is my recently acquired Dawes Ultra of mid 90's vintage.

Only really needed a damn good clean, new cables, tubes, tyres etc etc.

Now I am thinking have frame powder coated something like the current Ridley bikes.

Have a black Charge bucket and some Michelin Dynamic Classic 700x25 tyres on the way.

Bars and stem are temporary as the frame is a bit big for me and I simply couldn't reach the huge drop 90's bars.

What do you guys think, worth powder coating?? I am unsure as its only Reynolds 500 CrMo tubing. But for £55 stripped, painted and clear coated why not!!

IMAG1337.jpg

IMAG1339.jpg

Comments

• woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Nice bike.

Are you sure you are being quoted £55 for a paint job or powder coat similar to the current Ridleys? I thought they are a sort of retro two colour panel job? If so you are getting a reet bargain, go for it.

As the long as the paint is sound though I would leave it alone. It's got a charm of its own.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • Skinner2k3
    The paint isn't bad. Except the headtube which had a repair and subsequent cack paint job.

I just fancy a red bike :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    woolwich wrote:
    As the long as the paint is sound though I would leave it alone. It's got a charm of its own.

Indeed - cheesy 90s paint finish rather cooler than the Ridley job. Just get the headtube re-done.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Skinner2k3
    Valid point, the paint (I guess even the headtube) is not offensive, in general its very good.

If I do powder coat it would be more about my inability to leave anything alone, maybe consider it Gios but with red and white instead of blue and white if you don't like the Ridleys.
  • Skinner2k3
    Like this in fact

giosredwhite.jpg
  • woolwich
    I like the Ridleys paint job. But I wouldn't mind betting that 1990's garish bold is beautiful makes a comeback at some point.
    My concern is the quality of the job your going to get for £55. If your talking to your local industrial finishers for powder coating. At best you may get a finish like rollered emulsion and at worst it might look hammerited. You would be better leaving it tidy old school.
    But if someone is going to prep the frame, apply two colours and laquer and it looks something like that Gios for £55 please share his details. They are going to be very busy.
  • Skinner2k3
    Does seem a bit too cheap I know, but have seen plenty of before and after photos of their work and have no reason to doubt the quality. They are very local to me so I am going to stop by and see some of their stuff first hand.

I am willing to take the risk, good or bad I will show the results and confirm the cost. If it's good I will gladly share the details :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Problem with garages is that they won't mask your BB threads and paint over them which in turn means a right PITA when it comes to refitting the BB. Leave as it is or get it done properly
    The colour scheme is unusual and quite pretty to be honest
    left the forum March 2023
  • Skinner2k3
    Who said anything about a garage???

Considering nobody knows who I am actually using I am surprised how quick people are to assume the worst. Trust me, my job has me working closely with powder coating suppliers, I know the processes involved and will visit and see their work first hand.

Had it not been for the head tube, I probably would have left it alone (maybe) but for the sake of £55, I would rather get the whole lot powder coated in a colour of my choice than faff about stripping off the cack paint, buying rattle cans, masking etc etc.

If it turns out shite I promise I will fess up and you guys can go full on "I told you so" on me :D
  • rolf_f
    The colour scheme is unusual and quite pretty to be honest

Mildy ironic replacing a real retro paint job with a copy retro paint job!
  • Skinner2k3
    Didn't think repainting an old Dawes was such a controversial suggestion!!
  • loving the retro 'biopace' chainset, 20 years before the oval style became fashionable with the sky team

Dave
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    The Gios shown above is just one colour (red). The decals actually have the white band which means repainting comes in at a reasonable cost.
  • rolf_f
    Skinner2k3 wrote:
    Didn't think repainting an old Dawes was such a controversial suggestion!!

Everything is controversial!
    loving the retro 'biopace' chainset, 20 years before the oval style became fashionable with the sky team

Dave

Have Biopace on my Raleigh Randonneur. I rather like it (for it's appearance - on the bike you don't really consciously notice it). This is also controversial! :lol:
  • Skinner2k3
    I quite like the bio pace rings too. Didn't realise that had been done so long ago.

Just changed the saddle to a Charge Bucket, soo much more comfortable than the thing that was on there.
  • Skinner2k3
    cubedean wrote:
    The Gios shown above is just one colour (red). The decals actually have the white band which means repainting comes in at a reasonable cost.

Oh ok, cheers will bare that in mind if the cost is significantly higher to have the bands.
  • woolwich
    If your Powder coat job comes back less than smooth, even a little bit orange peeley, there is a decent chance that using decals will look gash. They like a really good substrate for nice results. You could get better results with a heavier duty vinyl type sticker and even do the banding with it. Cheap as chips from ebay or your vehicle local sign writer in a design of your choice. It will take lacquering, just don't force dry with a panel dryer or similar.
    If however you get good results from the powder coater or you decide to get it painted then decals are of course an excellent option. Good luck, hope it works out well :D
  • Thanks for the advice. Still need to decide on the colour. Keep changing my mind!

Been using the bike a lot lately and really enjoy it, not sure why it just seems to ride nice.

Any advice on mudguards? Which ones, not whether to fit them or not.
  • SKS chromoplastic for the mudguards as long as they fit.

I can see this bike turning out to be expensive.
    a little bit here, a little bit there..... ;-)
  • They were the ones I was looking at, probably the black version...maybe :)

So far its been fairly cheap, not much point spending much as its not really worth a lot!
  • Back to a quill and older style bars.

1409854947635.jpg