Your favourite 1 day routes in the UK (100-250km)?

Hindmost
Hindmost Posts: 57
edited September 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I recently bought a Garmin and I'm looking to explore a bit more of the country by bike. I recently did the TDF Leeds to Harrogate stage route and loved it. It was my first time outside of London on my bike.

Can anyone recommend any 1 day routes in the UK for me to try? What are your favourites? If you also have the course link for Garmin Connect that would be awesome.
For now I think 250km would be the max distance I'd want to try in a day, so anything between 100km - 250km would be great.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The South Downs is nice...my route takes me through South Harting past Uppark then head west at Litte Green Special School, then over the A3 and up Butser Hill, almost into Petersfield and then north up Ashford Hangers
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I just had a look on Google Earth - looks like a great area to explore. Thanks for the tip.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    We're lucky to live within easy reach of the Peak District, so the routes are endless. A favourite route from Hucknall is S Normanton - Higham - Brackenfield - Ashover - Beeley - Chatsworth - Calver - Hathersage - Owler Bar - Barlow - Chesterfield.

You can't go wrong in Derbyshire though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You could do worse than look here: http://www.aukweb.net/

I found alot of local routes on the Garmin Connect website - go into 'Explore' set an area and distance and see what courses or activities other people have loaded up.

You can also look at alot of sportives like wiggle etc and download their routes to have a look even when they arent running - I think the wiggle routes would actually be better without the crowds!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Sustrans routes are pretty good, Way of the Roses, Coast to Coast, Walney to Wear, Coast & Castles and also the North Pennine Cycle Way are all worth a look.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • The whole of the New Forest in Hampshire. I do it several times a year.

Best between April and October.
  • random man wrote:
    We're lucky to live within easy reach of the Peak District, so the routes are endless. A favourite route from Hucknall is S Normanton - Higham - Brackenfield - Ashover - Beeley - Chatsworth - Calver - Hathersage - Owler Bar - Barlow - Chesterfield.
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    The whole of the New Forest in Hampshire. I do it several times a year.

Thanks a lot for these - much appreciated. Both New Forest and Peak District are on my list to explore.

apreading wrote:
    You could do worse than look here: http://www.aukweb.net/

I found alot of local routes on the Garmin Connect website - go into 'Explore' set an area and distance and see what courses or activities other people have loaded up.

You can also look at alot of sportives like wiggle etc and download their routes to have a look even when they arent running - I think the wiggle routes would actually be better without the crowds!

Thanks. I've already had a look a the Garmin Connect website but I really wanted to find out the personal favourites of people on this forum. I'll check the Wiggle routes for sure.

durhamwasp wrote:
    Sustrans routes are pretty good, Way of the Roses, Coast to Coast, Walney to Wear, Coast & Castles and also the North Pennine Cycle Way are all worth a look.

Thankyou. I'll check the Sustrans website now.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I'm a New Forest cyclist and one of the best routes to do is head north out through the Forest to Fordingbridge and head for the Chalke Valley which takes you to Shaftesbury (Gold Hill/Hovis Advert). Return via Zig Zag Hill with one of the greatest views in England at the top (Cranbourne Chase) and then back through Chalke Valley to Forest.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.