Good European Cycle Routes?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited September 2014 in Tour & expedition
Anyone tried any good cycle paths in Europe? I'm wondering about part of the Danube Cycle Path. I've heard it's really nice and looks like part of it might be good for a family tour. Kid(s) in a trailer or child seat with perhaps panniers and/or cargo trailer. I believe it is a proper traffic free route too with the locals being friendly to cyclists.

I am hoping it will be a 2 week trip but at worst a single week. That is from friday afternoon/saturday morning to sunday night trip including travelling.

Anyone got any other ideas? Was thinking Jutland in Denmark but that would take a long time to get to.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The Danube path was recommended in this weeks "The Week" particularly for families.

Dont attempt the canal de Midi path in southern France - rough as hell and covered in tree roots.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Loire a velo from nantes up to chateau country around tours is a nice ride and doable with a family in a week. Depending how you get over, you can link with ferry and train services. There is a bike friendly train service that follows the route
  • thanks for the suggestions.

Loire sounds nice but one for wine fans without kids I reckon, tasting local produce on the way!!

"The Week"? Can you send a link to it? I'd beinterested to see or read what they say but have no idea what "The Week" is your referred to.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    The Danube path was recommended in this weeks "The Week" particularly for families.

Dont attempt the canal de Midi path in southern France - rough as hell and covered in tree roots.

Canal du Midi - full of tree routes, really? There are some sections that are a bit rough, I agree, but it is kinda offroad. The guy who wrote the cicerone guide also complained at the state of the path. I think you must be both wimps. I did it the year before last on 23mm tyres with no problems. Honestly its no worse than something like the South Downs Way.
  • t4tomo
    The week is this http://theweek.com/ summary of the best news articles of the week. have a look in any newsagents - it was in the travel section - only a small "recommends" article but its not online without subscription.

Boris _ I didnt ride the Canal du midi - just every review I read said it was rough. took a boat instead :D

Took family upto Parc naturel de haut languedoc and rode on a via vert on an old railway line (tarmac path) around Mons / Olargues. would recommend that but not long enough for a week. think it started at Herepian and ran west
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Just been looking up the Danube path and I didn't realise it was part of the EV6 route of the rivers that goes from St Nazaire up the Loire and through to the Danube. Seems The loire suggestion is just another stretch of the same cycle route. Amazing really to think that these paths get designated. Part of the EU benefits I suppose. There are similar routes for walkers too including an amazing one that goes around the North Sea!!!

I reckon the best part of the EV6 looks like that section with the hairpin bend in the River. That looks amazing.

Anyway I'm guessing that pretty much most of the countries along the route are cycle friendly and the paths are pretty much either surfaced cycle path (mixed use) or quiet roads. I have heard the Eastern countries on the route don't have dedicated paths nor have many signs up but I reckon a good map and route guide is sufficient. Not that we'll get there, we'll probably only do a small section in the French/Austrian section. Heard the Austrian section follows the route of the train in one section (apart from where it goes into 6 tunnels) so there would be good ways to take the train back.
  • t4tomo
    Taken from the week
    CYCLING AUSTRIA
    As epic bike journeys go, the 240km ride from Linz to Vienna along Austria’s Danube cycle path is perfect for a relaxed family “bonding” experience, says Clover Stroud in The Sunday Telegraph. Following the river’s banks for most of the way, it is mercifully flat (I even took my baby along) and wonderfully picturesque. There’s plenty of history to digest, from great castles (such as Dürnstein, where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned) to the Mauthausen concentration camp; but chances are children will be more interested in swimming than sightseeing. Just be sure to pack mosquito repellent. Macs Adventure (0141-530 3634, www.macsadventure.com) has eight days from £450pp
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • d70ar9
    d70ar9 Posts: 139
    I cycled back to UK from Budapest 2 summers ago and followed the Danube path from Budapest to Passau. For the most part it is absolutely immaculate tarmac wide enough for 4/5 bikes and on both sides of the river. However, It gets a little boring after a while as the scenery is much the same and it is pancake flat.

The most picturesque section is the Austrian stretch however it also the busiest (I read somewhere it is the most used cycle path in the world). I met loads of people doing tours along it, many with children. I'd thoroughly recommend it as a nice gentle introduction for a family tour!
    'All that is solid melts into air' Marx and Engels
  • Atlantic coast of France has a long distance cycle path along it but no idea what it's like other than I think it's tarmac and traffic free - I was just googling long distance bike paths this evening.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]