Headset Advice?

meepmeep
meepmeep Posts: 30
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I need to replace the headset on my Scott CR1 Team (2008) which is very rough. I'm unsure what I need to purchase and what headset you would recommend. I don't mind spending a bit more if that would be of benefit though I also don't see the point on spending more on something for no real benefit (not bothered about brands for sake of it) :D

Looking online I've seen it listed like this:

1 1/8" threadless integrated cartridge

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    Techincaly you only really need bearings, and most likely only the lower bearing. If you extract it and measure it (or read the measurements on it) you should be able to get a replacement.

If it lasted 6 years I wouldn't get a new headset... it means it's a pretty good one
    left the forum March 2023
  • meepmeep
    meepmeep Posts: 30
    That sounds good. How easy is to remove the bearings?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Very. Undo top cap. Undo stem bolts (around steerer). Undo the bars from the stem - mark position before you do. Take stem and spacers off steerer (note position of spacers etc.). Now the fork should just slide out of the headset/headtube. If you can, lift off the top bearing cover and any shims under it (note position etc) before pulling the forks out. The top bearing cover may be stiff to remove as it usually has a seal in it to prevent water running down into the top bearing. As you pull the forks down the lower bearing is likely just to drop out of the bottom of the headtube.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I'm interested in this too as today I did a major maintenance and clean-up of my BMC and found that the headset bearings are rough and the top one has rusted, although seems to be running smooth enough. I cannot read the top one as it is rusted, but the bottom one is pictured.

DSC00619.jpg

Am I right in thinking I can just buy the bearings only? I think it is an FSA headset, but I can't find anywhere on the web to buy these. Or can I use other headset bearings such as these Ritchey ones?

http://bike-import.ch/shop/product/2539 ... /4%20Zoll/

I really have no idea about this subject!.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    You probably just need to buy the lower bearing and not the complete headset, so you don't pay for parts you don't need.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headset-Beari ... 3cdf9046a7
    http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index ... 52+x+7+x45

Rust on the outside of the bearing doesn't harm, just clean it.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Thanks for those links, I'll work out how best to get some sent to CH.
  • Thanks. I'll take a look at this at the weekend and might come back with a pic if I get stuck.
  • Before buying some new bearings try carefully removing the seal with a thin blade of some sort, flush out the grease and dirt and inspect the condition of the balls. If they are OK just re-grease and install the seals.