High Volume Minipump

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Having been badly let down (literally) by my existing pump today, I'm in need of a new one.

I want something that prioritises high air volume over high pressure. A useful gauge would be a bonus, but isn't essential.

I like the idea of something like the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HVG, but £35 seems like a lot of cash to splash on a mimipump.

Any other suggestions? Whjat have you got that's been doing sterling service for years and years?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited August 2014
    I have a Tioga Joe Blow Max 2 for home and a Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini for the back pack. Both can achieve my chosen pressure effortlessly (35psi for MTB and 80psi for BMX) and the Micro Drive is super light. Highly recommended them both, and they can be found new on eBay for under RRP.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Bought on of these the other day:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... p-prod2908

obviously cant answer on the longevity side of things, but gets a big 2.35 hans dampf up to pressure pretty quick!

nice to be able to put all the pumping effort into the floor rather than wobbling about trying to make sure a valve doesnt snap!

downside is no gauge, and no autoswitching valve head
  • jimothy78
    Bought on of these the other day:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... p-prod2908

obviously cant answer on the longevity side of things, but gets a big 2.35 hans dampf up to pressure pretty quick!

nice to be able to put all the pumping effort into the floor rather than wobbling about trying to make sure a valve doesnt snap!
    When you get a chance, could you let me know the dimensions of it folded down, please? Have a dedicated pump sleeve in my pack, and it would be annoying if it wouldn't fit.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Just saw on Merlin, £28.99 for the Lezyne floor pump you like.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I've had a Blackburn Mammoth pump since 1997 and it has never let me down yet. The latest incarnation looks like this.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 for the Mammoth, my only gripe is that the protective plug means if you pull it open you can't close it without removing the plug so I drilled a small hole in mine!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:
    +1 for the Mammoth, my only gripe is that the protective plug means if you pull it open you can't close it without removing the plug so I drilled a small hole in mine!

Do you have the "anyvalve" version?
    I'm slightly sceptical of things that claim to be "one size fits all", as I tend to find in reality it's a case of "one size fits badly" :wink: .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have the anyvalve and it does do exactly what it says on the tin, it really does work on both 'invisibly' in that you can't tell its not typed to the valve you are using.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I have the lenzyne one and it's amazing ; it inflates high roller ii 2.4 so really quickly without a problem, and cover their cost as they last forever
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Mountain Morph is great, I'd swear it pumps up faster than my (albeit crappy) floor pump, but the hose is a bit short, and there's no gauge. Other than that it's flawless in my mind... Size (L x W x H): 35 x 5.8 x 3 cm / 13.8” x 2.3” x 1.2”
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • +1 for the Mountain Morph :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube