Mio 505 gps computer

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi do any of you guys or gals have one of these computers, if so I wonder if you could answer couple of questions. Firstly is it possible to race against a time you set on a course you use? And can you select what information you have on the screen so you can see on as much or as little information as possible.

Any help would be gratefully as buying one soon or an garmin 810.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• I have a Mio 505
    There is no race against previous times with the 2 bikes like the Garmin's have. I just use the history button to compare times for routes I have done previously.
    You can change what you see on screen, not really played with mine as I'm happy with what I see.
    Quite happy with my unit, but concerned with battery life when navigating.
    Did 140 miles on Friday and 100 miles yesterday. Both days unit ran out of juice after 7/8 hours.
    Pretty certain the Garmin's I've had previously, have lasted a lot longer.
  • coblck
    Just reading on there Facebook page that they have loads or problems with there firmware, wrong readings and problems uploading to strava. Have you experienced any of these. Leaning towards garmin 800 now after reading there Facebook page full of complaints. A shame as reserved to pick up this morning
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    coblck wrote:
    Just reading on there Facebook page that they have loads or problems with there firmware, wrong readings and problems uploading to strava. Have you experienced any of these. Leaning towards garmin 800 now after reading there Facebook page full of complaints. A shame as reserved to pick up this morning

There is nothing wrong with the Garmin 810 and you should take many of the complaints with a pinch of salt as Garmin devices suffer with a well known problem of user cock-up, but you won't get them admitting it. Very often the user has done a process wrong which results in the error. Yes there were issues with connectivity and LiveTrack, but these have been resolved and were probably taking time due to the tie in with Strava that has recently happened. Even so, while the problem existed, an 810 would still have operated just as well as an 800 until the additional features came back in use. The 1000 is also not a dud as some would have us all believe.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • got mine...regarding strava...no problems with uploading ...register the device use mioshare...link it to your strava account online...then set up wifi ...complete your ride and sync it ...uploads to strava no problem

ps.huge firmware update to do too
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • coblck
    Thats the problem the new firmware supposedly starts to make thing worse see there facebook page mio uk and read some of the comments
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • new firmware has worked fine for me..3 rides since all good
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • coblck
    Glad to hear it played it safe and just bought 800 there , thanks for all the info
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • yep, i've not had any bother with my mio 505, i found their customer service to be great when I broke my sensor, they immediately contacted me back(Facebook) and sent out a new one free. The battery life isn't as advertised I get approx 7hrs but I bought a battery pack and on the rare 7+ hour trip i can easily charge on the go.
  • May be just a one off but a friend of mine has had 505 for a few weeks, went to fit it onto the bracket and the mounting stub came away from the body of the unit. She said nothing untoward happened to it as far as she's aware.
  • I've had my Mio 505 for a couple of months now and had no problems whatsoever. I didn't do the 4.0 update but waited for the 4.1 and it's been great. Phone connectivity works well. Strava updates are working too. The battery life is terrible though. As KennyGalbraith said, it's about 7 hours. That's enough for 95% of my cycling but I too have a juice pack for the odd occasion when it's not. I spent a while pondering the Garmin/Mio options and so far I'm very happy with the choice I made.
    Lastly, bear in mind the people who post on the Mio Facebook page are those with issues. Most people who have had no problems are unlikely to post anything.