Another Fox fork bites the dust

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Another Fox fork bites the dust, seen a lot of pics like this recently. This is what I found on a mates bike today when he said his forks felt a bit funny. Look after your fork seals, lube them, clean them and whatever you do dont point a jet washer anywhere near your bike. this goes for all forks but Fox seem to be made out of processed cheese these days.

15083961935_90e6c2abfb_b.jpgfox F120 by https://www.flickr.com/people/30392791@N07/, on Flickr
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Lubing and cleaning those whilst assembled won't do much. You (or your mate) needs to stay on top of your wiper seal services to avoid that.

FWIW my 2010 Foxes did that in a little over a year, got a Kashima CSU and the new seals and they were then perfect for another 2.5 years. Stripped them a few times, but they were always spotless.
  • stubs
    I am facebook friends with Rebound Suspension in Horwich and he regulary posts pics of dead forks brought into the shop. Been a lot of pics of Fox recently, gone in the exact same spot just inside where the brace is where its awkward to get a soft cloth in to wipe the grit off the seal. The damage was caused in about 2 months so everyone needs to keep on top of cleaning and point the pressure washer somewhere else like the car or the patio which is what its designed for.

This post was sponsored by Rockshox suspension. :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Or do the wiper seal service...
  • stubs
    Ouch got a reply from Rebound Suspension approx £250 to supply and fit new stanchions and bushes. You can get a decent 2nd hand pair of Rebas for less so I think my mate will be writing them off. Poor lad he hasnt had much bike luck recently when I took the forks off I found the headset and BB were also funked
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like poor maintenance I'm afraid, Fox do need the wiper seal doing often, very very often, RS are far more robust in that respect.

He may as well just ride those into the ground now and then split off the bits that can be sold as spares.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    The bushes are gone and the fork now rattles like a shithouse door in a gale. New bushes wouldnt last long and would be throwing good money after bad. The fork is deader than a Norwegian Blue.