Newbie advice please :)

Garthy
Garthy Posts: 7
edited October 2014 in Commuting general
Hi,

I need a budget bike to commute to work each day and bumming around with the family at weekends. I was looking at either the carerra subway or the voodoo marissa. I'm a complete novice so any feedback on these two or any other option would be gratefully appreciated :) My budget is 350.

Comments

• nik6158
    nik6158 Posts: 32
    my brother in law bought a subway and loves it, he's never had any problems with it at all
  • Garthy
    Thanks for the advice :) From what I can tell the Voodoo has slightly better brakes? Both the same price. Also the subway has larger width tyres than the voodoo.... is that a good/bad thing? (sorry if that's a dumb question lol).
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2015 Subway now has weird 27.5 tyres not standard 26". Tyres are unavailable in shops. Avoid.
  • Garthy
    Thanks for that. Looks like it's the Voodoo then :)
  • Garthy
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help :) Just got back from lbs...... Specialized sirrus 2014 for 340. tried it and felt nice. Same price as the Voodoo but the specialized look very nice, lighter and the guys at the shop were very helpful. (Voodoo has hyd disk breaks but for the cycling I intend to do not sure if that matters?)

I did like the looks of the Decathlon bikes oxoman but want to physically buy from a store nearby.

Anyways, now leaning towards the Specialized lol. Mrs Garthy wants a bike now and she was quite taken with the Ridgeback motion navy, which at 240 seems a bargin?
  • Garthy
    Lol, cool :) I will confirm the order tomorrow :) I felt more happier with the advice from the lbs as well. They couldn't do enough, pulling bikes out etc. Thank you all for your help and advice :) will let you know how it goes lol. Still need to get lights, backpack, jacket and some form of shorts :)
  • Garthy
    I was planning to ask the lbs to put together a small kit with tubes, pump etc?

Have not even started to look at lights at the moment but will hit the review sections and forums :) any suggestions gratefully accepted :)

Clothing-wise, I thought maybe some padded inner's, baggy shorts, I have some Adidas climacool tops which I thought would be OK and then get a jacket for the windy/wet days? There are showers but not sure on lockers :)
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Get the Subway 1 with 26 mtb wheels. They are awesome bikes for a pittance- the cables will req an upgrade after a short while as will the chain but as for the quality ride etc and the amount of rack options they are hard to beat. Add mud guards panniers/beard and youl have a decent tourer
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will