Personal Security

wowtaylor
wowtaylor Posts: 75
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Recently I have been mentally debating being bike jacked while I'm out for a ride on my own. The area I live in is a bit dodgy these days and it's rife with crime and nobheads. I've considered things like putting up a fight, weapons, fleeing or if there's serious danger, just giving them what I have. I called an insurance company and they told me I could only get cover for the bike either being taken forcibly from my home while locked up or by destroying an approved lock. It would be a shame to have to drive somewhere out of the area when there's some decent rides where I live. What advice can anyone give me on things like insurance companies and levels of protection I can take? I know going out 'tooled' up is against the law but surely the law would be in my favour if I picked a brick up for example and lobbed it at them while they made their escape on my bike. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but, it's better to go into a situation prepared than not.

Comments

• Just give them the bike if there is no option to get away.
    If you have a "tool", undoubtedly so do they.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Do you only have 1 bike? I have an old skool piece of sh1t for riding locally on. My good one is for further away. Sometimes I do ride my good one and through ruff estates to get to the limited single track. Ive never really give it a thought. You can buy discreet gps trackers disguised as stem caps on the internet. Better than stabbing him in the face 50 million times. You'll regret not getting one when your lifed off!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I think carrying anything to protect yourself would be classed as premeditated if you used it, even in self defence. Plus if you injure them in any way they'll probably sue you.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I've had this thought before, although where I live is about as safe as it gets..

I'd just give them the bike, but try and remember anything about them that is identifiable or their accent for example, if they're going around nicking bikes it's possible they've had a run in with the police before and they can identify them.

Or hope they're as stupid as this guy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH ... r_embedded
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Count yourself lucky. You could be these guys.
    Obviously riding tooled up has it's dangers.

Or do it properly.

7040d1404440164-bicycle-wipe-out-when-carrying-glock-post-7002-0-90012100-1397584614.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    I carry a mini hairspray aerosol in me shorts pocket, legitimate reason for carrying it, I've got spiky hair, I've only used it once, very effective it was too.

This happened away from where I live, and considering the rough area I live in, I pick my routes home, avoiding main roads, and middle of estates, and never had any bother.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    cooldad wrote:
    Or do it properly.

7040d1404440164-bicycle-wipe-out-when-carrying-glock-post-7002-0-90012100-1397584614.jpg

:lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    There is that thread on mtbr.com about firearms to carry when riding (more about wild animals than thuggery but both are touched on) but sadly I think the "ride away or give it away" are the only options unless you are Jackie Chan. Carry a blade somewhere where you can get it at short notice and big enough to be effective then you risk a short trip to the big house.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ej2320 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Or do it properly.

:lol:
    Also useful when rubbish slow types don't get out of your way on a Strava run.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ScareyJ wrote:
    I carry a mini hairspray aerosol in me shorts pocket, legitimate reason for carrying it, I've got spiky hair,.
    That does not necessarily give you a defence as I hope you are aware, though I agree there is probably less chance of it being an issue, although as always prevention is better than cure.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What defence would I need?

Chav's arnt renowned round here for running to the police in tears!

There are two main reasons for this, the local bobby's (does me proud), give them a slap and informs his mates that he has been moaning too them, this get's them a good hiding for talking, they can't have it both ways.

You need a non lethal deterrent, mine works.
  • CitizenLee
    You're allowed to use reasonable force in self defense, but I still don't think using a tool or improvised weapon would be looked nicely upon in court.

Chavs code only really permits them from grassing on each other, and whilst they might hate the police, if there was a quick buck to me made by suing someone for personal injury damages then I reckon a lot of them would take it. A couple of Gs would buy a fair few pairs of Nike Air Max.

I know it's hardly the same as sitting in waiting with a shotgun, but this thread reminds me of the case of Tony Martin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_%28farmer%29
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • If they've got knives or something that can do you serious damage, just give it up - not worth it. If they havn't and you think you can take them, do it. There's plenty of stuff you can carry that wouldnt be classed as a weapon but can be used in self defence. Some guys tried to mug me when I was much younger, I told them I had stuff at home I could get them knowing my dad and uncle were round. I couldnt believe it worked :lol:
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    You don't require a licence for a crossbow pistol, just saying... :lol:
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Dont require a air rifle license either but it doesnt mean you can go round shooting people with it :lol:
  • The Rookie
    ScareyJ wrote:
    What defence would I need?
    Carrying an offensive weapon means just that, anything that can be used as a weapon, I know of at least 2 successful prosecutions of women who took their high heeled shoes off and were carrying them, if the Police can do enough to show any intent then the offence is complete, it is you that then need a defence.

So clearly you weren't aware.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Apart from writing about it on a public forum of course...
  • Lewis A
    Dont require a air rifle license either but it doesnt mean you can go round shooting people with it :lol:

Yeah, but a crossbow is more bad-ass... I was more thinking about scaring people away, rather than just killing them! :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    Lewis A wrote:
    Dont require a air rifle license either but it doesnt mean you can go round shooting people with it :lol:

Yeah, but a crossbow is more bad-ass... I was more thinking about scaring people away, rather than just killing them! :lol:

I'm sure the judge would accept that :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Learn Karate, or move house.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Lewis A wrote:

I own both :lol: granted crossbow hasnt been used in about 5 years and has no spring, and the air pistol probably has as much power as a spud gun. But they dont need to know that :twisted:
  • Lewis A
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:

I'm sure the judge would accept that :D
    Point it at him too. Problem solved. :lol:
  • They want the bike? Give it to them... I mean, give it to them. The bike itself can be quite a handy, if relatively cumbersome, tool.
  • Two of the local giro pissheads attempted to start a discussion about my bike yesterday (with the blatant attempt to remove me from it)

GPH,Here mate, what kind of bike is that? (Slurred)
    ME,A mountain bike
    GPH, Well obviously, you thick (fick) seeyounexttuesday
    ME,Then why did you ask
    GPH,*bewildered look like he's suddenly found himself on university challege*
    ME, *half bunny hops up verge and casually pedals away*
    GPH, .......................FAT SEEYOUNEXTTUESDAY!

It's seems that buying food with the money I get from having a job has made me noticeably rotund.

Bearing in mind this was behind the local chippy/offy at 16.30 on a Monday....absolute slugs.

It's quite a popular route for commuters as it goes straight through the city centre eventually and a quite petite woman uses it circa 17.30-18.00 week daily (stalker) so I phoned the police.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I met a nutter who said he carries a water bottle with petrol in it and some matches so that if he gets attacked by a dog then it is toast. I suppose that idea could be extended but he was / is a nutter and deserves to be attacked by most things.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    not bike related and I've posted it before, but you could react like this guy :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-25856722
  • I have a HipLok. The metal chain lock that you wear like a belt around your waist while riding.

It's held in place by industrial strength velcro, so I can take it off in a second. Once removed, it becomes something akin to a medieval flail.
    Not that I have used it as one...yet :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    FishFish wrote:
    I met a nutter who said he carries a water bottle with petrol in it and some matches so that if he gets attacked by a dog then it is toast. I suppose that idea could be extended but he was / is a nutter and deserves to be attacked by most things.
    So while being savaged by a German Shepherd he's going to get out his bottle unscrew it, douse the dog but not himself, get out the matches and strike one and throw it on the dog.....as you say - nutter!
  • welshkev wrote:
    not bike related and I've posted it before, but you could react like this guy :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-25856722

Now that's my kind of reaction. Though if it had been me the other one would have 'fallen down the stairs' as well.

The take away from that piece, though, is that they only got a £70 fine. Seriously? £70? That's the reason this stuff happens, right there.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Not sure if it's available here but is pepper spray a viable thing to have about you? I mean come on, there are bears in the pennines.. Right?
    Advocate of disc brakes.