Hayes Stroker brake lever not returning to normal position?

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
My Hayes Stroker Ryde front brake lever isn't returning to its normal position after you squeeze the lever. You have to sort of 'flick' it back out with the back of your fingers. Brakes are fine and were bled a week ago, plenty of bite. I have read that there is a fairly simple fix for this involving the rod which goes into the master cylinder and greasing it. But I can't find any idiot proof instructions for exactly how to do it.

Anyone assist? Keep reading folk saying 'Yeah, it was a well known problem and it is a simple fix to re-grease it' but no one really elaborates on how? Any assistance appreciated. 8)
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• chuase05
    chuase05 Posts: 23
    Its a straight forward job, remove tge lever pivot pin then undo the reach adjuster so the lever blade is removed, once its off you will see a c-clip holding the push rod washer in take that out and the piston should come out. But from the ones ive done at work its always easier to replace the piston while its out as the seals arnt great and swell over time you can pick up new ones with the lube for £20 look at hotlines uk.
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • RSV_Ecosse
    Cheers, do you need to bleed the brakes after this procedure?
  • chuase05
    chuase05 Posts: 23
    Ye i would just in case you do trap any air
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • RSV_Ecosse
    Ah, okeydoke. Had a nightmare bleeding them last week. Was hoping I'd get away without having to bleed the damn things again but hey-ho!