An upgrade on Planet X CT45 tubs

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
So my first foray into the world of carbon wheels (and tubulars) was the relatively inexpensive Planet X CT45's. I must say they are superb wheels and have stood me in good stead for all sorts of riding ranging from short club rides around the doors to climbing in the Alps. However, as is pretty common in the world of cycling, I am looking at the next upgrade.

So just wondering if anyone can advise on what would be the natural progression to these wheels. I am essentially looking for something similar (possibly a little bit deeper) but 'better'. Any recommendations greatly welcomed and anyone that has ridden on CT45's and gone on to something else feedback would also be appreciated.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The CT45s are excellent wheels - you could spend more and not see any real difference. But if you want to spend more, there are lots of more expensive wheels out there which do exactly the same job...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    gotwood25 wrote:
    I must say they are superb wheels and have stood me in good stead for all sorts of riding ranging from short club rides around the doors to climbing in the Alps. However, as is pretty common in the world of cycling, I am looking at the next upgrade.

I like these threads... you make it sound as these wheels have done tens of thousands of miles, while in fact they're 6 months old...

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12938232&start=20

Anyway... as Imposter says, you can spend 5 times as much to get 10% more... there is a huge gap in price between the 3-400 quid PX wheels and the 1500-2000 pounds of the big brands... and not much in the middle
    left the forum March 2023
  • gotwood25
    gotwood25 Posts: 314
    gotwood25 wrote:
    I must say they are superb wheels and have stood me in good stead for all sorts of riding ranging from short club rides around the doors to climbing in the Alps. However, as is pretty common in the world of cycling, I am looking at the next upgrade.

I like these threads... you make it sound as these wheels have done tens of thousands of miles, while in fact they're 6 months old...

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12938232&start=20

Anyway... as Imposter says, you can spend 5 times as much to get 10% more... there is a huge gap in price between the 3-400 quid PX wheels and the 1500-2000 pounds of the big brands... and not much in the middle

Haha I didn't mean for it to sound like they were on the way out. They have done some decent miles, around 3-4000 but are far from the knackers yard. As I say, I am just looking as to what the natural progression would be.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    gotwood25 wrote:

Haha I didn't mean for it to sound like they were on the way out. They have done some decent miles, around 3-4000 but are far from the knackers yard. As I say, I am just looking as to what the natural progression would be.

There is no natural progression and you've hit a dead end... you can keep spending to get pricier versions of the same, but in reality people compete at the highest levels on Planet X wheels (look at Kona Ironman) my natural progression was going from a sub 8Kg race bike to an 10 Kg cross bike... is it natural evolution?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    add some fancy ti skewers and maybe some lighter tyres...