UK Terror Threat Level Raised To Flippin' High

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Home secretary Theresa May has announced that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) UK Terror Threat Level has been increased from "Bloomin' High" to "Flippin' High".
What steps have Cake Stoppers taken in response?

Have you started wearing clean underwear everyday?
Do you return to your front door to check that you locked it?
Do you regularly check under your bicycle for suspicious objects?
Have you become slightly more racist?

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    My plan A is to find a convenient amount of of sand and bury my head in it. There are a couple of problems with this approach...
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I guess we were due another of these statments designed to cower us into accepting government knows best and our safety is the their priority. Makes you wonder what news they are actually trying to distract us from.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I guess we were due another of these statments designed to cower us into accepting government knows best and our safety is the their priority. Makes you wonder what news they are actually trying to distract us from.

And I suppose after whatever atrocity we suffer, and there WILL be one, you would be asking,"Why didn't the Govt/Security Services do something? Why weren't we warned?"
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    What exactly do these threat level warnings mean to you then? They are absolutely worthless. If they know an incident is imminent then clearly they have specific information we aren't privvy to and are in a position to do something about it. If they don't have any specific information then it's clearly speculation which anyone can indulge in quite frankly. Seriously, is anyone going to do anything different in the light of it? Ring in to work tomorrow saying you can't come in because the threat is too high? Cancel that trip to the pub quiz? Better not walk the dog tomorrow...far too risky.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Ballysmate wrote:

And I suppose after whatever atrocity we suffer, and there WILL be one, you would be asking,"Why didn't the Govt/Security Services do something? Why weren't we warned?"

Warned/not warned what difference will it actually make to the outcome, you WILL be all 'righteous indignation' either way, it's like the bloody Daily Mail on here sometimes :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    The threat level system replaced the old 'Bikini Alert State' which ex servicemen of a certain age will be familiar with.
    Each level triggers particular preparations and response in civil and military defence. Not all of which will be apparent to the man in the street.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/the-threats ... ystem.html
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    youre more likely to be killed by lightning than by a terrorist attack.

grow a pair and stop living your life in a state of fear.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ballysmate

You may well be right.
    But as I pointed out above, the threat level means very little to the man in the street, so it shouldn't affect their day to day life much if at all.

BTW my granddad was killed by lightning years before I was born. So although unlikely, not impossible. :wink:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    MichaelW wrote:
    Home secretary Theresa May has announced that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) UK Terror Threat Level has been increased from "Bloomin' High" to "Flippin' High".
    What steps have Cake Stoppers taken in response?

Have you started wearing clean underwear everyday?
    Do you return to your front door to check that you locked it?
    Do you regularly check under your bicycle for suspicious objects?
    Have you become slightly more racist?

Where does it go from 'Flippin' HIgh? I guess expletives are used...
    The problem I have is that half the population look like Islamic terrorists, half look like white supremacists and half look like both.
    I am not travelling in lifts or hanging round in bars at airports.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590
    RideOnTime wrote:
    The problem I have is that half the population look like Islamic terrorists, half look like white supremacists and half look like both.
    Daily Mail maths?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    My plan A is to find a convenient amount of of sand and bury my head in it. There are a couple of problems with this approach...
    Yeah! your @rse is sticking up to get shot!!!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    PBlakeney wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Daily Mail maths?

Yes and half the population are on benefits.

and the other half are cheating on tax...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Simply not true. Average 3 people a year in the UK killed by lightning, 5 by terrorists.
    Which is about the same as wasps & bees put together.
  • Chances are as this is a cycling forum some of you will venture out on your bikes at some point. I would not do this if you are worried about the terror threat as you are much more likely to be killed on your bike. Best stay indoors. Focus on the big risks first and foremost.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I was asked to show my pass as I cycled into the office loading bay this morning, curiously coinciding with our Landlords sending around an email re the increased terror threat. :D

the security guard smiled as I said "ah the new anti terror procedures".
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    bompington wrote:
    Simply not true. Average 3 people a year in the UK killed by lightning, 5 by terrorists.

What about at the current time? When was the last large-scale terrorist atrocity in this country? 5 per year may well be true, but can such a claim be made since the Northern Ireland peace deals?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Every copper in Britain is currently stood at a slip road or overbridge on the M4 between the Severn Bridge and Cardiff so I wouldn't be surprised to see an attack take place in London this week!