Getting back after an injury...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited September 2014 in MTB general
As some of you may know, this kind of time last year I broke my collarbone. Since then I've bought myself a road bike as well as keeping my mountain bike.

Been riding the road bike and was using the mountain bike before that on the roads but never got back to getting on the trails.

I really want to get back on the trails but I'm really nervous and lacking confidence, I really can't afford to have another bad injury. I was never a skilled rider as it was.

Should I forget it and just stick to the road or just get over it and do it?

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    if you want to do it then you will, I've had a bad injury but I now ride more than ever since that
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cars scare me, so given the choice I'd rather ride gentle trails and fire roads than tar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've only broken my collar bone once - when i fell off a road bike.
    I have been riding an MTB for the last 8 years with the need to visit the local A&E.
    (I've had some bumps and bruises, but only because I was trying something new, or wasn't concentrating)

I feel safer on the trails. At least you have a choice about how fast you want to go and how you want to approach something that is a little more technical.

You have no control over traffic on a road. And you can't avoid every obstacle either.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Just take your time & start with something easy and build up your confidence, you'll be fine!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Just go back and take it easy. I'm currently nursing a painful cracked rib after a crash about two weeks ago and I can't wait to get back on. I've sneaked in a couple of short, gentle but painful rides already, much to the dismay of my other half. I don't think it's going to slow me down at all, I'll just be more cautious on the particular move that put me off.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The main thing is I have no confidence in my shoulder if I do have another off, no matter if it's a small off or big.

Will it just go again? Is it worth getting some form of insurance? Sick pay at work is rubbish.

I'm going for a ride Friday I think, just the local woods I used to ride almost daily so will be fine!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I smashed seven colours of crap out of myself many years ago - broken ribs, broken wrist, disc bulge cuts to my face, heavy bruising to knee and hip - I was laid up for a couple of months getting over all that and replacing my bike. I had been thoroughly enjoying a new hobby prior to the crash - had been riding for maybe 4 months and was definitely keen to get back on it.

I started small, towpaths and so on to see if my back could take it as much as anything, went to the local woods after a little while and found that riding was better for my back than sitting on the sofa, went to the Alps the same year. First trip.

I am not sure how old you are but I was 33 at the time and perhaps just about young enough to get over it easily enough although I was in no way fit (causing the disc bulge as I had no core worth speaking of). I know I ride with a fear of injury which doesnt so much manifest itself at speed it is more in the slow tech stuff that I start to imagine myself lying in twisted agony on a load of pointy rocks. I still ride them because that is part of the sport I love.

Getting a road bike sure isn't an option for me.

Strengthen the muscles around your shoulder, maybe think of a skills course if you want to build some confidence and go ride!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I knackered myself a few months ago, knocked myself out, fractured my shoulder and tore a bunch of liagaments. Healed up and been back on the bike the last month or so. Fell off today, sliding out sideways and knocked my head, no damage to the helmet and head feels a bit sore but fine. I'm really freaked out and feeling like I don't want to get back on the bike. This little bump has affected me more than my big off. Really not sure how I'll get my confidence back. I never remember hitting my head when I used to ride but I guess I must have done. Feeling mega pissed off ATM. Any suggestions?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Speak to a medical professional and get their advice. When I injured my shoulder I followed the excerises to recovery religiously four times a day every day. I then checked I could start mountain / road biking again which I was advised was fine as long as I took it easy to begin with. Now I ride as normal but take it a little easier riding technical stuff when mountain biking.

No one on here knows anyone's medical history ;)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Ferrals wrote:
    I knackered myself a few months ago, knocked myself out, fractured my shoulder and tore a bunch of liagaments. Healed up and been back on the bike the last month or so. Fell off today, sliding out sideways and knocked my head, no damage to the helmet and head feels a bit sore but fine. I'm really freaked out and feeling like I don't want to get back on the bike. This little bump has affected me more than my big off. Really not sure how I'll get my confidence back. I never remember hitting my head when I used to ride but I guess I must have done. Feeling mega pissed off ATM. Any suggestions?

Its normal , just take time and build your confidence up again. You may find your riding style changes to be less aggressive than before.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Cheers yeah I think I started pushing it a bit to quick, I've been religious with the physio and got full motion back and no pain, bit of weakness still but not much, so figured I was good to go - I checked with the gp and he said fine so just carried on as normal, but I reckon didn't quite have the power to manhandle the bike and in retrospect I should have left it a while before tackling technical single track hence sliding out and coming off again. Think I'll take a step back and build back slower.
  • Just go back and take it easy. I'm currently nursing a painful cracked rib after a crash about two weeks ago and I can't wait to get back on.

I'm in the same boat as i bust a couple of ribs 2 weeks ago. Last week would have been my first alps trip too! Gutted.

The otb i had was my fault and on a not too dififcult part that i have done dozens of time before.

TBH i'm a tad nervous as i don't want this pain again and as i'm no spring chicken it's going to be awhile before i can ride again. As for confidence JFDI.

Seriously, get on your bike and ride like you had done so many times before. So many rides without injury. Law of odds says we are going to get an injury of some sort in any sport.

Good luck.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!