Broken spoke, what do i need?

Scott_0001
Scott_0001 Posts: 32
edited August 2014 in Workshop
As per the title. I've noticed i have a spoke which is broken, not sure how it happened as i noticed it in the house.

I've also noticed that when i push the bike it's like the brakes are sticking every half turn of the wheel so not sure how that happened or if it's to do with the spoke?

Anyway, i want to try fix it myself but not sure what spoke to buy or what tools i need etc?

This is the bike i have http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec042439

Thanks.

Comments

• sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    A new spoke?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The brake is sticking because the broken spoke has caused the wheel to go out of true. There are lots of guides out there for replacing the spoke:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+t ... ce+a+spoke

You need to measure one of the other spokes, and then go to a good bike shop. Get them to give you a new nipple too in case there's a bit of spoke stuck in the current one. You'll also need a spoke key.

I used to work for a Scott dealer and I'm afraid the cheap Syncros wheels are poorly built. If you break one spoke, it's not unlikely you'll break more. But for now I'd certainly just replace it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    sigorman85 wrote:
    A new spoke?

Dammit. I clicked on the topic hoping to crack this unhelpful joke and you've beaten me to it. Shouldn't you be riding your bike or something?

To the OP. If I were in your shoes, my thinking would go something like this:

1. Remove and measure one of the other spokes. So that's length and diameter in three positions (in case it is double butted at different diameters)
    2. Order a few new spokes of the correct size if I don't already have them
    3. Once they've arrived, oil all the nipples, back the whole wheel off, fit the new spoke and then approach retensioning as if I were building it from scratch. Backing off is probably not necessary but I find it a lot easier to deal with radial runout at the beginning of the process when the wheel is loose.

I have a homemade wheel stand but you can get away with inverting your frame and using that. If it's a rear wheel you need to know how to dish the wheel, which is a lot easier if you have a dishing tool (again, mine is home made from a bit of wood) and you'll need to select a spoke on the same side as the broken one to measure. You'll also need the appropriate nipple wrench.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    If the spoke is standard J-bend, then it probably broke at the bend where the spoke goes thru the hole in the hub. In that case just remove the broken spoke and take to shop to get replacement of the same size.
    1) remove the tire and pull the broken spoke and nipple out from the rim.
    2) if it is on rear wheel then you'll probably have to remove the cassette to install the new spoke - get the tool(s) to remove the cassette.
    3) buy replacement spoke(s).
    4) buy a spoke wrench - I like the small round type that work with several nipple sizes.
    5) remove the nipple from the new spoke and thread it into the hub using the other spokes as a guide for how to lace and under-over. You may have to bend the spoke a little to get it laced correctly.
    6) insert new nipple thru rim and onto spoke, finger tighten w/o tool.
    7) put rim back into the frame with bike supported so wheel can spin.
    8) tighten the spoke a little at a time until the side to side movement of the rim is minimal.
    9) mount the tire (and cassette).
    10) after riding for the first time, check the rim for side movement. If needed deflate the tire and adjust the spoke(s).

If trying for 'perfect' wheel truing, it might be necessary to work with several spokes at a time - the 1 at the point of most movement, and the ones on either side of it. This can get complicated and cause more trouble .....

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA