Advice for my wheels - Shimano vs. Bontrager -- Emonda SL6

rane
rane Posts: 25
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all :-D

I'm the happy owner of the new 2015 Trek Émonda SL 6.

My question to you guys is that i'm considering upgrading the wheels...

It was delivered with
Bontrager Race TLR Wheelset
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11063

Would I feel the upgrade of getting???
SHIMANO Ultegra WH-6800 Wheelset
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ult ... 62406.html
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ulte ... /wg_id-216

OR

Should i wait and spend more on?:
SHIMANO WH-9000-C24-CL Dura Ace Wheelset
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/wh-9 ... /wg_id-216

I'm budget is quite limited at the moment and that is why i'm considering the Ultegras. I'm curious about the quality contra my current Bontragers...?

The Dura Ace is over twice the money so would it be worth it???

Thank you

// Rane
Trek Émonda SL 6
Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
Columbus Gara (Fun old School bike)

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Wait till your current wheels are worn out, keep saving during that time, then you can afford some nice wheels.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Little/no difference going from the Race to the Ultegra. But before recommending anything else, tell us your how often, long, flat/hilly, fast, etc you ride, what your goals are (e.g. get in shape, win races), what kind of events you might do (e.g. weekend warrior, club rides, sportives), whether you plan to ride in lousy weather and through the winter, your budget (quantitatively), and what your favorite color is. Well, not the last one.
  • rane
    hi again guys

thank you for the fast replies!

Well as you both are saying "keep saving"... My budget is actually not that high at the monent. But i was thinking of saving through this year out and then look at the WH-9000 again.

My main concern was that i read some pretty bad reviews of the Bontrager wheels. Something about "cracking within the first 1400 miles"... I'm thinking safety here!

And the Ultegra did get 4 stars on this great site e.g.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -14-48294/

But if they won't bring any feeling of "upgrade" i will consider other brand/options.

I'm a heavy hider at 90 kg atm but working on getting down at my ideal at 83 kg.
    My weekly based work out is around 3-5 times a week
    I go for very different environments like flat one day and climbing the other.
    I will try to enter some open races next year...

So so sum up... I need some good all around wheels with a high durability and stable.

Budget: 300$ - 1000$ roughly
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Just inspect the rims before you ride if you are worried, they won't catastrophically fail when you are riding.

One of the rims on the Trek I bought secondhand had been replaced under warranty, it's still going fine 7 years later. I've replaced a couple of bearings for a few quid but that's it.

A friend's Ultegra wheels are constantly going out of true.
  • rane
    hi frisbee

thank you for your response...

You are right in saying that i need to check occasionaly for problems with the rims.

Your friends ultegras, is that the 6800 series? Because the 6800 should actually use Dura Ace tech with a little heavier materials...?
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    rane wrote:
    hi frisbee

You are right in saying that i need to check occasionaly for problems with the rims.

Your friends ultegras, is that the 6800 series? Because the 6800 should actually use Dura Ace tech with a little heavier materials...?

I guess they are the 6800 ones, they are a couple of years old.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I have been considering the SL6, how do you find it, is it comfortable? Any other thoughts, love the bright red colour.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I have bontrager race (2012) and Dura Ace C24 on a Madone 5 series so should be able to give you a close comparison.
    Both have stayed true and I'm 85kg. The C24 are a lot lighter and great for acceleration. The race rolling on the flat are not a bad wheel when you get to speed. I wouldn't say the c24 dramatically improve performance but the carbon rims give a very smooth velvet ride. Other people have said there is not much difference between the Ultegra and dura ace and if you convert the race to tubeless you will pretty much find a similar confortable ride albeit a heavier rim, better for flat not so for climbing
  • rane
    edited August 2014
    Plodder73 wrote:
    I have been considering the SL6, how do you find it, is it comfortable? Any other thoughts, love the bright red colour.

Asset_237364?wid=1490&hei=1080&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=80,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Quoted from my input at another topic:

Things that i noticed.

Pros: :D
    - i'm very impressed how it handles a bumpy road. It absorbs like no other :-)
    - It reacts immediately while being pushed.
    - It has an amazing handling in tight and long corners
    - it's a very comfortable geometry for long rides. ( My height is 194cm ~6.36ft and frame size 60cm)
    - Great gear group and brakes ( Ultegra 6800 ) works like a charm!
    - Cool and neat integration of the new Duotrap S Sensor
    - A very light bike
    - BB90 Bottom bracket makes it a stable and stiffer frame.

Cons: :(
    - I would have loved if it was delivered with some slighty better wheels... (Bontrager Race)

Added by me: :P
    - Dura Ace PD-9000 Pedals
    - Bryton Rider 20 GPS Computer
    - Duotrap S Sensor

Things i will consider upgrading to in the future: :idea:
    - Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 Clincher Wheelset 2014
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ac ... lset-2014/
    - Specialized Romin Evo Pro Saddle
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-46957/

MY RATING: :mrgreen:
    4.8/5 STARS
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • rane
    Lifeboy123 wrote:
    I have bontrager race (2012) and Dura Ace C24 on a Madone 5 series so should be able to give you a close comparison.
    Both have stayed true and I'm 85kg. The C24 are a lot lighter and great for acceleration. The race rolling on the flat are not a bad wheel when you get to speed. I wouldn't say the c24 dramatically improve performance but the carbon rims give a very smooth velvet ride. Other people have said there is not much difference between the Ultegra and dura ace and if you convert the race to tubeless you will pretty much find a similar confortable ride albeit a heavier rim, better for flat not so for climbing

Great input thank you very much!

I would'nt mind having some spare wheels for fx. winter tours. I'm still a little puzzled with this choice...
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • rane
    frisbee wrote:
    rane wrote:
    hi frisbee

I guess they are the 6800 ones, they are a couple of years old.

OK.

They could perhaps be at the border of being the 6700 series as well...? :?:

According to this post from 1 May 2013 were just launched:
    http://road.cc/content/news/82237-updat ... d-groupset
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There could be several reasons why your mates [frisbee] 6800 wheels are going out of true. One could be spoke tension there may not be enough on the NDS to keep the wheel stable and that would be a manufacturing error. It could be uneven spoke tension- another manufacturing error. It could also be rider weight and the riding style, if the are alot of side loads due a) a heavier rider and b) rocking the bike alot particulalry when powering up a hill that could lead to the NDS rear spokes slackening off and wheel going out of true. Either the 6800 hava manufacturing defect or they are not stiff enough for the rider. This issues do happen with mavic wheels, Easton, Brontrager, Campagnolo, fulcrum, shimano.... There are not normarmally manufacturing defects but the wheel does need to be stiff enough for the rider and not all are. Some people are just hard on wheels.

The 6800 and DA C24 wheels are about as stiff as each other. The DA wheels are lighter but it does not translate to more speed well not in a measurable way anyway even it feels like it does, I am not saying the DA wheels are waste of money having worked on a few I know they are quite good at what they do. You could look at HED Ardennes wheels if you want a pre built set, these are aero and use a wide rim which is simply better. An HED wheel of any tier is stiffer than the DA C24 and that is a good thing in many ways. The wider rim will add to the ride comfort and it should help handling too. So that's what I would do I was looking at prebuilt.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rane
    There could be several reasons why your mates [frisbee] 6800 wheels are going out of true. One could be spoke tension there may not be enough on the NDS to keep the wheel stable and that would be a manufacturing error. It could be uneven spoke tension- another manufacturing error. It could also be rider weight and the riding style, if the are alot of side loads due a) a heavier rider and b) rocking the bike alot particulalry when powering up a hill that could lead to the NDS rear spokes slackening off and wheel going out of true. Either the 6800 hava manufacturing defect or they are not stiff enough for the rider. This issues do happen with mavic wheels, Easton, Brontrager, Campagnolo, fulcrum, shimano.... There are not normarmally manufacturing defects but the wheel does need to be stiff enough for the rider and not all are. Some people are just hard on wheels.

The 6800 and DA C24 wheels are about as stiff as each other. The DA wheels are lighter but it does not translate to more speed well not in a measurable way anyway even it feels like it does, I am not saying the DA wheels are waste of money having worked on a few I know they are quite good at what they do. You could look at HED Ardennes wheels if you want a pre built set, these are aero and use a wide rim which is simply better. An HED wheel of any tier is stiffer than the DA C24 and that is a good thing in many ways. The wider rim will add to the ride comfort and it should help handling too. So that's what I would do I was looking at prebuilt.

Thank you for at nice reply. I like how you describe both of my considerations. I took a look at them HED's they seem cool! But a little high priced though

I took the liberty of checking your website out. Great site! It's cool that you work professionally with this stuff...

- How's your view on getting the Ultegras? A waste or minor upgrade?
    - Should I keep saving ( as other people suggest)?
    - I actually have access to a cycle workshop so i would be able build some wheels my self. Is that challenging or straight forward?
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • rane
    Hi again

I think i will keep saving for a while until my Bontragers, starts to look like a pair of wheels that might as well could be a spare part :-D

But i have been researching a lot on the Shimanos WH-6800 & WH-9000 C24 and I could end of with a set of WH-6800 just to try them... They seem like a good budget alternative to the WH-9000.
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB