Fulcrum Quattro Clincher

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
My Aksium rear wheel has died after three years (spoke pulled through hub) and looking for a replacement wheel set. I know they aren't that light but never felt they we're holding me back and considered just buying another set but it's an opportunity to get something different. Was looking at Ksyrium Equipe and Elite and Shimano RS81 C24 and C35 then Fulcrum R3 which can be used tubeless. Then saw Wiggle are selling off Fulcrum Quattro wheels for £180 but know nothing about them. Would these be a viable replacement for the Aksium, they are a similar weight? I'm 85 kg if it's relevant.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Good wheels. Light for the price, and they look great. For £180 they are a steal..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The askiums are quite flexible in comparison to fulcrum wheels. You will feel a difference between the two and I think you will prefer the fulcrums. They are a tad lighter as well but not enough to make a difference (100g or so).

All the fulcrum range is quite decent shame the rims are not wide but hey they are £180.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Cheers for the feedback guys. Have pushed the button!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    One of the bikes I was considering, think it was the new Genesis Zero range, has Fulcrum 7S or something. Looked them up and they are a new model that's wider. That may carry forward into the 2015 range, who knows.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm a big fan of my Fulcrum Quattros. They're not light, but they are stiff, and look at lot more expensive than they are.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Are these basically the Campagnolo Siroccos?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Another Quattro fan here. They are a realistic weight but are good and stiff.

At £180 they are excellent value.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • I have Quattros on my winter/commuter bike and so far they are proving excellent. Stiff, smooth and for some reason much easier to get the tyres on and off than the Eastons they replaced. As above a real bargain at £180. To the casual observer they probably look more bling and expensive than the Racing Ones I have on my other bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    holiver wrote:
    Are these basically the Campagnolo Siroccos?

Possibly the same basic rim design, although the spoke patterns are different..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fantastic upgrade IMO if they suit your bike.

Found they hold a lot of water if used in the wet so just be sure to empty and dry out properly :wink:
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Fantastic upgrade IMO if they suit your bike.

Found they hold a lot of water if used in the wet so just be sure to empty and dry out properly :wink:

Cheers! I've got a set of RS10's on another bike that do that. Hopefully these won't see much rain :)
  • IMG_20140914_103728684.jpg
    Think they suit the bike well, and they are stiff!