Painting a frame

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just stripped and etch primed my old carrera vulcan frame.

Can I spray onto etch primer or do I need to prime over the etch prime before paint?

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Also if I dont need to prime the etch primer should I wet and dry the etch primer before paint?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have read http://www.bikewebsite.com/paint.htm

Yes you need to prep the primer, no you don't need to re prime the primer unless you still have bare metal.

Most cans do have instructions on them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah i looked but the can has no mention of sanding back the primer - my other can of 'normal' primer of the same brand mentions sanding before topcoat the etch primer just says apply topcoat?

I'll rpob give a once over with some wet and dry - thank you
  • nicklouse wrote:

Love the first line - dont paint it yourself!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I too have a painted Carrera frame, lightly wet and dry the primer to make sure you have a good base for the top coat and it's worth lawyering even if you are only using a plain colour, keeps ulster better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I too have a painted Carrera frame, lightly wet and dry the primer to make sure you have a good base for the top coat and it's worth lawyering even if you are only using a plain colour, keeps ulster better.

Cheers Rookie, do you mean apply a coat of top coat, wet and dry, top coat, wet and dry, etc then lacquer?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, it got auto corrected!

Flat the primer with wet and dry, colour and then lacquer.....I find best results by adding the first coat or two of colour to wet primer and then flatting as it's easier to see imperfections that way, but it's only a 'nice to do'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.