New 650b Rimms

Meirion658
Meirion658 Posts: 20
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all I have a Giant Trance 27.5. 2 2014 with Giant S-XC2 rimmns. I am thinking of getting a new set or rimms for the bike as my birthday around the corner :D I have a budget of up to £400. Any suggestions, they must be tubeless ready as well.

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Rims (yes spelt rims) or full wheels in a pair.

What are you looking for in them?
  • Sorry lol Looking for a pair of new Wheels to handle the Welsh Trails, must be tubeless ready.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Stans flow ex or arch ex on hope hubs or a hope enduro wheelset would be my choice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lightbike carbon rims, either on their own wheels (Hope hubs) or get them built in the UK
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mtb ... heels.html
    They also do wider rims if you think you need it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Probably over budget though with hope hubs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why? What's wrong with the stock wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Antm81 wrote:
    Instead of guessing you could just look at the price.....and they aren't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    The Rookie wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:
    Instead of guessing you could just look at the price.....and they aren't.

You sure? As I said with hope hubs they might be. Configure them and you'll see they're 800 and the exchange rate is roughly 1.66 which means they're £480 plus the £30 shipping and the paypal handling fee of nearly £18.

I'll admit I'd like a set but are they worth more then £150 more?
  • The Rookie
    Apologies, on one browser the pricing didn't work (change - I'd just banged in Hope QR/QR), on another it does!

Njee has a set (laced in the UK) and is adamant they are well worth it.
  • Antm81
    That's probably the way I'd go, order the rims then source hubs over here and get them built locally. Not saying LB's builds are bad, I'd just feel happier being able to go through a uk based retailer should I have any warranty issues.

Back to the OP though, the stock wheels although a little heavy aren't bad and can be run tubeless if you don't already.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Does seem a little stupid and I can see why they'd be so expensive as LB are importing the Hopes to export them back rather than using native hubs
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I do indeed think they're well worth it, but yes they charge a whopping premium for Hope hubs. Their Novatec builds are cheap. I'd get their rims and build over here on Hope or DT350 hubs.
  • njee20 wrote:
    I do indeed think they're well worth it, but yes they charge a whopping premium for Hope hubs. Their Novatec builds are cheap. I'd get their rims and build over here on Hope or DT350 hubs.
    Happily been running a set for 6 months now with no issues. Their prices must have gone up recently as a did a cost exercise for a friend maybe 6 weeks back for around £400 built with Novatec. Just sourced the rims for better value.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL