New f+f thoughts

src1
src1 Posts: 301
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Thinking about a new f+f for a winter trainer/commuter bike. Commuting is 18 miles each way (when I do it!) and weekend rides are usually about 4 hrs, often with the local cycling club.

Options I'm considering:
1. Kinesis 4s
2. Kinesis GF-Ti v2
3. Genesis Equilibrium Stainless Steel (2015 model)
4. Genesis Equilibrium (2015 model)
5. Genesis Equilibrium disc (2015 model)

I don't change bikes often, my best bike is a Look 585 that I bought in 2003 (albeit everything apart from the frame is upgraded!), so I quite fancy stainless steel or ti as I want the frame to last and keep looking good.

My current thinking on the options:
1. Good price and lightweight.
2. Looks v. nice, light, will last. Will it get unwelcome attention in the bike shed at work?
3. Like the idea of steel, but it's a bit heavier than the previous 2 and looks a bit more old fashioned to my eyes, e.g., non-integrated headset.
4. Cheapest, fancy trying steel, good price
5. I like the idea of discs for a winter bike, but recent experiences with my mtb's disc brakes have put me off a bit.

It'll initially get built up with 105 (5700) and existing finishing kit. If I go with a disc frame, then will have to get new bits, maybe new 105 hydraulics...

Thoughts and/or alternatives welcome.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    My suggestion would be to go for the Genesis Equilibrium either in Stainless or the disc model. Not sure yet whether they have published details of the 2015 framesets just yet. Their website still seems to have the 2014 frames only on offer as far as I can see.

I have to admit some bias here as I've just completed a build of a 2012 Equilibrium frameset (steel forks rather than carbon) and I am really blown away by how great the ride is even compared to the Trek carbon build that it has replaced.

Have seen images of the 2015 complete bikes and it seems as though they have now added rear rack mounts to the seat stays for 2015. This is probably a nod to all those commuters or light tourers who want the flexibility of adding a rear rack.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/genesis-b ... brium.html
  • src1
    Thanks arlowood. Genesis seem a bit slow at updating their website, although they have published some details and shops are saying they have stock.

The Genesis stainless steel model is probably my favourite, but maybe I should be making the jump to discs. Decisions, decisions!
  • src1
    Quite hard to track down photos of the new Genesis SS frame, but here are the contenders:

1. Kinesis 4s
    weight: 1.42Kg
    price: £415
    4s-diamondblack.jpg

2. Kinesis gf-ti v2
    Weight: 1.48Kg
    Price: £1,200
    GF_Ti_V2_Side.jpg

3. Genesis Equilibrium Stainless Steel
    Weight : Frame - 1.94 kg (56cm) / Fork - 0.59 kg (278mm steerer)
    Price: £1,250
    Equilbrium_SS_F_F_grande.jpg?v=1408390419

4. Genesis Equilibrium 725
    Weight: 1.96Kg
    Price: £450
    10393569_747714245293082_4633071261095633831_n.jpg?oh=5773918eeeb7d1254ecc428ab41db5c0&oe=545CFC87&__gda__=1415312305_346c24751d99b931429f9a2982f2230a

5. Genesis Equilibrium 725 disc
    Weight: 1.96Kg
    Price: £500
    10463620_744107768987063_5395790360637368649_o.jpg
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I've been eyeing up the new equilibrium range myself. The colourschemes on the framesets are a lot nicer than those on the builds! I'm curious about your experience with discs - what was it about them that has put you off?
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    And since you're looking at a similar build, the other frame I'm considering at the moment is a Condor Fratello. There's rumoured to be a disc version available for 2015 as well.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Whichever one for £500 or less. The expensive ones seem to offer no practical benefits over the cheaper ones. If you don't have a random desire for Ti or stainless steel (and your desire for the frame to last suggests you'd be better off with a frame that can be repaired easily if need be which rules out the boutique materials or alloy) then the others offer no weight penalty and a massive cost saving.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • src1
    JamesEs wrote:
    I'm curious about your experience with discs - what was it about them that has put you off?

I bought a new mtb a couple of years ago and have had problems with the rear Avid Elixir 3 brake ever since.

The brakes are supposed to be self-adjusting, but the rear brake has always rubbed. I decided it was because the disc was a bit warped, so recently bought new discs and pads. That made me realise the rear rotor was actually seized and trying to un-seize it, I lost some hydraulic fluid and now need to buy a bleed kit and fluid whilst hoping I've managed to successfully un-seize the rotor.

I thought about booking into my LBS, but found I could buy a new lever, hose and brake for £30 from Chain Reaction. I ordered this yesterday and hoping I can fit it ok and this solves the problem for good.

So basically, rim brakes are really simple to maintain, never rub and work well enough. On the other hand, the feel of disc brakes is great, they have amazing stopping power (on the mtb) and you don't get that horrid mix of grit and brake block that wears your rim out over the winter.

I'm still on the fence with regards to discs for road bikes. For a winter bike I can see some benefits. I'm not convinced for my summer bike, it's mainly ridden in the dry, DA 9000 brakes on new wheels are superb and I'm not interested in carbon clinchers (another market driver for discs I suspect).
  • src1
    Rolf F wrote:
    Whichever one for £500 or less. The expensive ones seem to offer no practical benefits over the cheaper ones. If you don't have a random desire for Ti or stainless steel (and your desire for the frame to last suggests you'd be better off with a frame that can be repaired easily if need be which rules out the boutique materials or alloy) then the others offer no weight penalty and a massive cost saving.

My desire for stainless steel is pretty random to be honest, basically I like the look of them and the idea it will last and last. Will the the SS Genesis be any better to ride than the 725 version?

I'm wasn't thinking of the ability to repair when thinking of longevity. I don't want this problem again:

IMG_3058.JPG
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm not sure I'd fancy being in your shoes having to choose between those to be honest. They all look superb! I know people say this can be a "nice problem to have" and, based on those pictures you've posted of the various frames, I'm not sure there's a bad choice there. Being of an indecisive nature myself though, it would do my head in :oops: I think they've done a great job with their frame designs and colourways for the 2015 ranges.

EDIT: My son says he wants my Tifosi winter frame, so am now looking at the Genesis Equilibrium 725 frame to replace it, and pricing up new bits. Must learn to stay off this forum :lol:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Dolan Dual? not cheap, carbon, but I really like what it offers and the few I've seen look nice.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.