To replace, or not to repalce (Avid brakes!)

Asgath
Asgath Posts: 16
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Ey up.
I've been lurking on the forum for a while now but finally have a conundrum I can't make my mind upon.
Currently I've got a 2012 Giant Anthem X4 with Avid Elixir 1's on 'em. I haven't had any bleed issues which is nice but they on and off squeal and screech like satanic geese. I'm tired of it, recently I've just been a little unsure of their performance.

I've tried cleaning my rotors with isopropyl alcohol and attempted to get the pads clean. I seemed to quiet them down and bring back some bite and power for a few days and now they seem to howl even worse on any long descents. I find myself losing my confidence on 'em.

Anyway, i can't decide whether its worth getting another few sets of brake pads (x4 from superstar) for about £25 or just hanging fire a few weeks and hoping a set of Shimano SLX brakes are still in the sales at around £90.

Comments

• Sell the Avids and buy SLX you will not be disappointed! Shimano are selling the best brakes on the market at the moment
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I agree, I'm now running a set of shimano brakes (lower spec than deore) after using elixir 7 previously and the elixir may of been marginally more powerful but the shimano's are a much better package, I wouldn't use avid or SRAM brakes again right now.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Thirded. I switched and so so much better, quiet and reliable.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Shimano all the way, Deore, SLX or XT will do.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A consistent (tone) high pitched squeal is resonance, using organic pads and making sure all the bolts are properly tight helps, as can a swap of disc.

Otherwise, yes, Shimano brakes are leagues ahead of Avids......mind you we have three bikes all on 2006-9 vintage XT's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Go with the Shimano brakes, I have both Avid and Shimano and the Avid's are no way near as good right across their range.
  • I have the same Elixirs and the noise from them is just as bad. I'm going to grab some SLX.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have the same Elixirs and the noise from them is just as bad. I'm going to grab some SLX.

Merlin cycles have the slx front & rear brake set for £90. Or even some deore m615s would be a good replacement.
  • I was in the same position with my Elixir 7s and got some of the new XTs rather than buying new pads due to all the great reviews. Got to say I am not completely convinced though. I have found the XTs very powerful but very grabby, hard to just scrub off a little speed. I think the modulation of the Avids was better and I am tempted to go back.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I used to have elixir 1 brakes and the front on its day sounded like a banshee. No amount of tweaking really helped. Swapped to XT's with new rotors and now have more power, more control and they don't make any real noise at all.

Very worthwhile upgrade to make.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Yes I'd upgrade but not until they cause bother or need bleeding, I've been running my avid 1s for nearly 2 years now and they have been annoyingly resilient
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes I'd upgrade but not until they cause bother or need bleeding, I've been running my avid 1s for nearly 2 years now and they have been annoyingly resilient

Same boat. My avid 5's are only 4 months old though.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I would stay as you are until they break, maybe change the pads is the squeeking is annoying you. I have some elixirs 1, and they were really powefull brakes untill the rear one stated playing up, after bleeding 5 or 6 times I gave up on it
  • Asgath
    Asgath Posts: 16
    Cheers for the advise folks

Pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I'm going to hang fire a little, I've managed to clean and and sand my front rotors and pads and they seem to be working more effectively and quietly. Definitely were somewhat contaminated.
    Going to hang on until I've got a little more cash floating about to get the SLX brakeset. Might just get a new front rotor as its a little warped.