Sodding 11spd. KMC quick links!!!

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Currently in the finishing stages of my new build and trying to fit the chain (a 5800 11spd. item).

I've gone to use a KMC 11spd. quick link and bugger me if the damn think is impossible to close. I've even got the KMC closing pliers and when even when I use full strength, it still won't snap shut. I've tried the second link in the packet and I have exactly the same issue. I've tried to snap the link shut even when off the chain and it still won't budge.

Has anyone got any bright ideas before I go and kill some innocent animal in a fit of rage?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You've got to put the chain on the bike with the quick link attached, then just sit on the bike and push down hard on the pedal, that should close it.
  • Yeah you'll need to use pressure from the pedals to close it. Fit the chain and the link. Move the link so as it's just in front of the cassette (towards the front of the bike). You'll not need to sit on the bike but apply the brakes and push down hard on one pedal. You should hear and feel it click into place.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    As above - a firm push on the pedals sorts it for me.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I've never heard of closing pliers for these quick links, just the opening ones. Otherwise - as above :)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Does anyone reuse theirs? I like to take the chain off for an occasional big clean and have used the same link 3 times. The packet said they weren't reusable but have been fine.

I couldn't see a difference with my old 10 sp that were reusable.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • What did you dunk your chain in for the deep clean ?
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    as above, but make sure the quick link is at the top of the cassette/chainring!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    All sorted using the pedal pressure method. I couldn't do it before as I was putting the chain on with no pedals attached or brakes set-up.
  • I've re-used my KMC 11 speed countless times. Unlike the 10 speed links, to open and close the 11 speed links I've always had to use the quick link tool.