Fitting cable to XTR front derailleur

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right... the end is in sight. This should be my last question! :D

I'm fitting the front derailleur (XTR M986 dual pull) and can't decide how the cable should be secured. In the instructions and any online videos/diagrams, the fixing bolt is at the front. However, on mine it is at the side. Can anyone advise how the cable should be secured? I've put pictures of two possible ways below.

Initially I thought picture 1 looked correct, but when I trim the cable isn't it then going to be hanging inside the derailleur plates, getting in the way of the chain? :?

Cheers

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    2nd one
  • jf22901
    Thanks. I thought I'd best check before I shoved it in the wrong way. How hard can it be to supply instructions with diagrams that actually match the component? Apparently very hard!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you look for the groove Shimano machine into there cable clamping faces that give the game away as to where the cable goes?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They do supply paperwork...

here
  • jf22901
    Yes, that's the instruction sheet I had. It's just that one shows the fixing bolt on the front and the cable resting in a groove to the right of the bolt, whereas on my derailleur the fixing bolt is on the side and there was no groove that I could see. I know it's only a slight difference, but when you're a complete newbie it's confusing! :D