BMX wheels it is then...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2014 in MTB general
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/e-thirteen ... stion.html

Have to say, I've never really been into weight saving on bike components, I've always gone for strength and burliness... but since buying light wheels and tyres for the Canyon, it flies!
Proof is in the pudding too, beat my PB on a long climb by over 2 mins. That is all-time too, the Canyon weighs just under 36lb and I got up there quicker than on any short travel/trail bike I've owned!

Does this now prove that 29ers are poo? :wink:

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Its BS though - in what world are two identical weight wheels built with either all the weight in the hub or all the weight in the rims. The hubs are the same weight on most bikes, so the weight of the rim changes with wheel size - a ZTR Crest 26 weighs 340g per rim, the same rim in 29" weighs 380g, a 650B version weighs 355g so what i would like to see is the proportional sizes and weights represented in the same experiment.

Or am I misunderstanding the point?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • We should all ride FS Penny Farthings with a dropper post. That would end the big wheel, small wheel debate.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

Does this now prove that 29ers are poo? :wink:

no it means that heavy rims/tyres don't roll as fast as light rims/tyres - this is nothing new
  • but it is also saying that the closer the mass is to the hub, the faster the wheel.

So as 29er rims/tyres are bigger and the weight is further from the hub, they inherently roll slower than the equivalent 26er setup.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Was that supposed to be scientifically conclusive? How do simple plastic discs freewheeling down a couple of metal rods prove anything about complex bike wheels being driven by pedal power?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Was that supposed to be scientifically conclusive? How do simple plastic discs freewheeling down a couple of metal rods prove anything about complex bike wheels being driven by pedal power?
    You can work it out with a pencil, paper and a sliderule, but it doesn't make for awesome Youtube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am convinced I am now going to go to the shed and wrap 2 kilos of roofing lead round each wheel hub. I am going to go soooooo fast I will be winning the next World XC event. As long as the course for the XC race is held on 2 smooth steel rods that is.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Next years big development will be 24" wheels then two years later a compromise of 25" will be released and marketed as having all the advantages of 24" and 26" with none of the disadvantages of either.
    Dropper posts will increase to 400mm drop.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Doesn't take into account rolling resistance, in particular energy losses due to tyre carcass deflection - in which case the bigger diameter tyre wins every time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..