Service M540 pedals - replace bearings?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm getting clicking once per revolution on my pedals, and looking round the net, it seems like this is an indication that the pedals need servicing (they're about due anyway as haven't serviced them in about a year).

What I was going to do was to remove the axle, clean everything out (but not strip the bearings down) and then re-grease (which should also help force the old grease out of the bearings and replace with new).

When I've taken the axle out, how can I tell if the bearings need replacing?

Is anything more needed than a clean and re-grease to service or should I strip everything down completely and overhaul the pedals?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They'll be fine.

I would do a full strip, clean and rebuild and they'll be right as rain.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Given the lack of tools and facilities for adjusting the bearings on the axle of low end SPD pedals, my servicing of them was just to remove the axle and soak it in degreaser for a few hours and leave to dry for 24 hours and clean the inside of the pedal with degreaser and leave to dry then fill the pedal body with grease and refit the axle and wipe the excess grease off.
    Given the low cost of the pedals, if they last 2 years I'm happy.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are not low end pedals though. All you need is a few spanners and perhaps a ring or socket to lock it. It's really simple just really really small balls
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Nice and simple pedals to service, no special tools needed just spanners, strip clean and grease and they will last years.

Are you sure the click is the pedals and not the cleats?