Making porridge in the microwave

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Right

Totally hacked off with this

When making traditional (ie not in one of those little packets) porridge in the micro, the damn stuff overflows the bowl so more ends up down the sides than in the bowl

Tips?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Use a bigger bowl.
    I zap for 2 mins.
  • secretsam
    MichaelW wrote:
    Use a bigger bowl.
    I zap for 2 mins.

2 mins???? More like 5

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Sounds like you are over-heating it and are you stopping to stir it every so often? I do it for 3mins and stop to stir it roughly every minute. It starts to rise up a little by the end but not anywhere near overflowing.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Also ideal heating time will vary with the power of your microwave.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Why?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    I measured the amount of porridge in one of the small packets and now use the same amount from a large packet. I cannot remember the volume as I know it is the amount that fills a small dish that I have.
    I add 180mls of water to a bowl twice the size you think that you would need.
    I then pop it in the microwave for 3 mins at full power (1000w) and it comes out perfect every time.
    No stirring required.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    I let mine soak for about half hour beforehand (I use all milk). Then 2 mins on full power, stopping every 30-40 seconds to stir
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I think you may be overthinking this. :lol:
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Theres a company called sistema i think, they do microwave soup & noodle bowls, use one of them.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    I've always used boiling water and then chucked it in the microwave for 30 secs or so. Spoonful of Jam and you're away!
  • secretsam
    Ballysmate wrote:

Not really, I'm sick of clearing up the bl00dy mess!!!!!!

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    SecretSam wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Not really, I'm sick of clearing up the bl00dy mess!!!!!!

I use wife mk1 for cleaning up my porridge spillage :)
  • wormo
    wormo Posts: 30
    I weigh out 50g of oats cover with milk and stir, zap in mircowave for 2 mins then take out and stir and zap for a further 1 1/2 to 2 mins and Bobs your uncle.

Works for me with no mess.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    2 mins???? More like 5

It only takes 5 mins in the pan!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Some of you are definitely overcooking your porridge.
    If you don't believe 2 mins is enough then try it just once. What have you got to lose? You can always throw it mback in if we're lying!

There's almost nothing easier than cooking porridge in a microwave!
    My method below is childsplay - typing it out makes it seem more complex but easier than avoiding the milk splashing out of a bowl of cornflakes!

There's no need to weigh it out. A 2:1 ratio by volume is perfect for me. 1 part porridge to 2 parts cold water/milk. I measure with a small glass filled to the same level each time - obviously measure the oats first so they don't get stuck in a wet glass and then you can use it for your orange juice too...efficiency is the name of the game!
    Stick them in a bowl with a pinch of salt and sugar or honey if desired
    Microwave for 2 minutes at 900W (add/subtract a little if your microwave differs)
    It will usually start to bubble up slightly around the edges but unless your bowl is very undersized you'll be fine.
    If you leave it in 2:30mins or longer it'll start boiling over and you've got a mess.

It will look slightly undercooked in the middle when you take it out but give it a quick stir and it is in fact perfect. There's enough heat in it to continue cooking a little after you stir it through.

If you like your porridge a little thicker or more watery just tweak the 2:1 ratio slightly but 2:1 is spot on for me.
  • and if you're in the habit of making porridge with water, I'd advise a rethink. Grim.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I often make my porridge to have after I shower when I've been out for a cycle/run.
    I use milk mostly with water added sometimes if we are short of milk. I also add in fruit (fresh/drier) and seeds, nuts etc.

I normally set the micro for a relatively low power, 20 - 30%, and cook for a longer time, 7 or 8 minutes. With the lower power setting it means that there is a much reduced chance of a splurge over the rim of the bowl and I have the porridge and milk mix pretty high up so the lower power does bubble it around the edge but the micro zaps for a few seconds then pauses, with that pause time related to the power setting. Once I am ready I often give it a short 30 - 60 second 100% zap to make sure it is nice and hot for consumption.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    alternatively dont make the porridge hot, make the night before by mixing 1/3rd oats, 1/3rd greek yoghurt and 1/3rd milk, throw in chopped banana, mix and leave in fridge overnight.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Handful of porridge in bowl, enough water and or milk to float it, mw it for 90 seconds but keep an eye on it for the last 15 or so; if it starts to bubble up stop it there.

Porridge is brilliant as an instant snack in a cup with cold milk and no cooking, it doesn't actually need cooking. If you must have it as a gooey paste (equally nice btw), 90 seconds, the last few watching it in case, is enough.

ETA if you have trendy bowls with shallow sides it's more likely to spill over. Buy old fashioned crockery with vertical sides instead.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just need a bigger bowl...I got some cheap plastic mixing bowls from Asda, they do the job fine. I think its this (£1.50) http://direct.asda.com/George-Home-Mixing-Bowl-Large/001455875,default,pd.html?cgid=D24M09G01C01
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • simonhead wrote:
    alternatively dont make the porridge hot, make the night before by mixing 1/3rd oats, 1/3rd greek yoghurt and 1/3rd milk, throw in chopped banana, mix and leave in fridge overnight.

I do this with muesli - it's great.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Use a saucepan. It'll be much better.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    How the hell can you be eating porridge it's August FFS :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You are all just making a meal out of this...
  • Honestly, small plastic bowl, 1:20 on full power.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • team47b wrote:
    How the hell can you be eating porridge it's August FFS :D

this. It's strictly an Oct-Mar breakfast in my book.
  • apreading
    Porridge all year round - you have just been brainwashed by the old ReadyBrek adverts...
  • apreading wrote:
    Porridge all year round - you have just been brainwashed by the old ReadyBrek adverts...

No honestly - all the moaning about the recent cold snap apart, this has been one of the hottest summers in recent memory: I do NOT want a warm breakfast when it's 18 degrees outside at 7am.
  • apreading
    apreading wrote:

No honestly - all the moaning about the recent cold snap apart, this has been one of the hottest summers in recent memory: I do NOT want a warm breakfast when it's 18 degrees outside at 7am.

But you eat a hot dinner? Why not a warm breakfast?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Porridge is king, any time of the year :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava