Bike Stolen, Need Urgent Replacement

jakwob
jakwob Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey Guys,

First post round here, and its not a good one.

I left work today to find someone had cut through 2 bike locks to help themselves to my GT Avalanche 3.0, my bike was my lifeline to get to work as I live in the sticks without reliable public transport. After a nice long 3 hour walk home I need to source another bike ASAP until payday. I dont have any money or any other means of getting to work etc however I do have £100 halfords vouchers *shudders at the thought*

Can you please help me on what to buy, only need the awful im going to purchase for a week or so until I can afford a replacement.

Heres a couple I've seen:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/apollo-encounter-hybrid-bike-19

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-outrider-full-suspension-mountain-bike-20

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/real-clifton-mens-hybrid-bike-18

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/trax-tr-1-rigid-mountain-bike

Thanks in advance

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    No 2 on your list should be sent straight to a scrapyard. No4 is not really worth it. No1 the suspension fork is about as much use as a chocolate teapot and just adds useless weight. The best of the bunch is No3 not brilliant but if you look after it it should be fine for commuting and last you for a while.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jakwob
    Thank-you for your imput, looks like number 3 it is, £100 wasted though :P
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    How much would taxi's cost for the week?
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    OP where do you live?

My dad has a bike he is getting rid of that I'm sure you could use or have for next to nothing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or get on Gumtree or eBay for local buys......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or get on Gumtree and you can buy your stolen bike back......
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I don't think the £100 Halfords vouchers will go far on Gumtree :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    jakwob wrote:

Did they take the photo of this bike upside down? How did they get the upwards curve in the bottom half of the chain?
  • The Rookie
    They didn't, that's the chain cover you are looking at!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jakwob
    a bit of good news for you guys, a friend from my work has offered to swap me my vouchers for his carrera subway ltd edition in dark blue, its not the best bike in the world but I think it will be better than anything else from halfords brand-new within my voucher budget :P, if its in good nick do you think its worth the swap?
  • Seems like a fair swap, the carrea is better than the other options, I also use my bike to commute to work as its my only transport but fortunetly I can leave my bike in my work place, bike thief's are such scums they deserve to have their hands chopped off.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They seem to go for around £150 used so if it's in good nick and fits you then may as well go for it!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • stubs
    Yes quite a decent commuter and light trail bike for the price. I would snap his hand off if its in good nick.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    gingaman wrote:
    jakwob wrote:

Did they take the photo of this bike upside down? How did they get the upwards curve in the bottom half of the chain?

Unless its an optical illusion caused by the website it certainly looks like its curving upwards.
  • jakwob
    pulled some specs off the internet, this is what im looking at:

Frame size 18"
    Wheel Size: 26"
    Colours Dark Blue
    Frame type Rigid
    Frame material Aluminium Alloy
    Gears 21 speed
    Brakeset Shimano mechanical disc brake BR-M416 Shimano mechanical disc brake BR-M416
    Chainset Shimano FC-M311
    Front Derailleur Shimano Altus
    Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-M360
    Shifters Shimano ST-EF50
    Wheels Double wall alloy rims
  • The Rookie
    The 7 speed (at the rear) is the lowest specced subway, still a very competent (if not very 'sporty') commuter and as stated can deal with light to moderate off-road work without an issue' they are much sought after commuters so as pointed out sell for circa £150 so you got a good deal.