best bicycle for 250-300 pounds

menez93
menez93 Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everybody,
I am Simone, i'm italian, I'm 20 and now I'm living in Uk for job. I need to buy a new bicycle to use to go to work. It's 5 miles one way. There are some stipp uphills and everytime I do these I am completely sweat. I had a carrera subway bought from Halfords, it was an hybrid. For me it was good, maybe a little bit problematic on the hills and sometimes when I tried to change the gear but anyway good to use it to go to work (for example when I feel it comfortable and stable on irregular ground road and I could go fast because I rode it on a straight road and without stopping myself a lot of times but only 3 or 4 until the arrive). The problem is that someone, I hope he will die, stole it.
I paid it 250 pounds.
Now I have one vertigo bilbao 700c bought from tesco. The differences are a lot. The Subway was very comfortable, stable and faster compared to the new one. I want to return it to tesco and spend something more. Anyway I think the carrera was faster because it had 24 gears and the new one only 18, could be one of the reasons?
However what is the best bicycle that I can buy with this budget? I need to use the bicycle in every weather condition, so if there is a lot of rain I will ride anyway so I need something good in every condition. I don't want to buy from private and buy used bicycle because I had very bad experiences.
I don't know anything about bicycles, I have only googled to try to find a solution but it's difficult. The only bicycle that I found with this budget, that at the same time has good reviews is the vitus vee. Is it good for my need? Any better alternatives?
Another question. On my bicycle I used to use a rain cover, I was the only one at work with a rain cover. I think that has attracted the thief to steal my bicycle. Do you think the rain cover is useful? Does it ruin under the rain or not?
Anyway now I have bought some lock to have more security and hope that will not ever happen again. One long kryptonite new york U-lock and cementate chain with Excell masterlock padlock. Do you think is enough. I hope so.

I hope that someone can help me and sorry for my english. I'm here since 2 months, I need more time to improve it.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hi, welcome and may the bastard rot...

That Tesco bike is horrible. I'd just get another Subway if you want a hybrid, but you might get more sense in the Commuting section.

The Vitus 27 does look like a decent option.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • menez93
    menez93 Posts: 5
    and what can you tell me about the cover rain? is useful? any others good bicycles?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Subway is a good bombproof option, any issues you had are down to setup and maintenance, they fetch good money used due to that bombproof reputation. For a faster option look at the Carrera Gryphon which has a lighter frame and narrower faster rolling tyres. As for climbing hills, using the right gear is the key.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have 10% of discount in halfords, so now I want to by the bicycle from them.

Today is the last day that I have discount on the website, if I pay 200£ I have 20£ off, 300£ 30£, ect...

And now the new idea is to use the bicycle in every condition, so in the rain too, but especially in the winter, with a pavement not very good.

I need speed ( I don't use the bicicycle in race but I want something like my previous bicycle, the carrera subway, or more in term of speed, especially in flat road I want to go fast) and stability because I will use it in every season and in every condition.

My choice is:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 13-2014-20

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... sport-2014

So now my budget is more than 300 pounds. I was thinking at the boardman because with the discount on the website and mine 10% off I can save more discount obviously.

The question is: is the boardman much better than the voodoo? for my purpose which one is better? With this amount of money (350 more or less) is there something better??

I hope someone can help me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Of those I would get the Voodoo.
    The Boardman has a pointless fork, cable disc brakes (although good ones.)
    The Voodoo has hydraulic discs and a more sensible fork for the road. And much cheaper.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ok thank you.....anything else on halfords for 350£ max for my need?
    is the voodoo the best choice for my need? sorry if I ask the same questions but I need to be sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Marasa is a good bike, I've recommended them to two people who still talk to me!

It can be made faster and livelier on the road by swapping out the rather heavy original tyres for something like a 700cX28 or 32 with suitable tubes, that's what me Nephew does, keeping the originals for when he wants to ride round the local forests on the firebreak paths.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.