2014 Mondraker Foxy R - Black Edition

kester
kester Posts: 79
edited March 2016 in Your mountain bikes
My new steed. 2014 Foxy R Black Edition. same as standard alloy frame, Mondraker released a limited run of black foxy r's.

10599197_689631184256_5756938339426378513_n.jpg?oh=a8f6682b1a019ec120dd8f45d7fbc3b1&oe=5473F3FC

spec:
fork - fox float 32 evolution CTD
shock - fox float CTD
brakes - formula C1
groupset - mix of SRAM X7 and X9.
wheels - DT swiss M1900 spline

will soon be replacing the fork with a 160mm Pike as when I was demoing the foxy round whinlatter I pretty much used up all the 140mm travel on the fox fork.
also which genius at fox thought it would be a good idea to put the compression tuning at the bottom of the forks! my old bike which was 6 years old and had 140mm air suss fox forks had the compression tuning at the top of the fork so you could adjust it whilst riding without stopping

as for other upgrades nothing planned as of yet, as I said last bike was 6 years old so everything else on the foxy feels pretty good to me

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Nice looking bike!

Pretty sure you've got confused on the compression adjust though, CTD forks have the three stage low-speed compression adjust on the top of the fork leg and the rebound is at the bottom, which you kind of set and forget.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    kester wrote:
    will soon be replacing the fork with a 160mm Pike as when I was demoing the foxy round whinlatter I pretty much used up all the 140mm travel on the fox fork.

Was the demo bike properly set up for you? How much sag where you running etc? I wouldn't write the fork off purely for that reason, I'd also check what effect running a longer fork has on your warranty too. I've got the same fork and I'm still getting it set up as I like.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have the evo 34 fork and its dog poop. There is no good set up - I had a Fox guy look at mine during Crankworx and added some oil to the air chamber to try and give me a bit of support in the travel to allow me to run lower pressure and improve small bump sensitivity - worked a bit but they are still a poor fork.

Nice bike - get a pike to make it nicer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Yeah the pike would looks awesome! Give it a bit more travel and slacken it out to a proper trail slayer
    A stealth colour scheme with green accents would look great IMO
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Great bike, made even better for being fully black :)

If you do get the Pikes speak to Slik Graphics and they'll be able to sort you out with green RockShox stickers to match the frame, if that sort of thing tickles yer pickle.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • kester
    lawman wrote:
    Nice looking bike!

Pretty sure you've got confused on the compression adjust though, CTD forks have the three stage low-speed compression adjust on the top of the fork leg and the rebound is at the bottom, which you kind of set and forget.

re-bound! couldn't think of the word when i was writing the original post. even so my old fox forks had the rebound adjust at the top of the fork leg so you could adjust it whilst riding, it jut seems a bit strange that they would change it to the bottom of the fork.
    Antm81 wrote:

Was the demo bike properly set up for you? How much sag where you running etc? I wouldn't write the fork off purely for that reason, I'd also check what effect running a longer fork has on your warranty too. I've got the same fork and I'm still getting it set up as I like.

yea will double check the warranty just to be sure but seeing that the Foxy XR model comes with the fox 34 - 160mm forks i can't see there being any issues. the guys in cyclewise at whinlatter set the bike up for me whilst i was picking up the demo and they set around 15% sag front fork and 20-25% sag for rear shock.
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Great bike, made even better for being fully black :)

If you do get the Pikes speak to Slik Graphics and they'll be able to sort you out with green RockShox stickers to match the frame, if that sort of thing tickles yer pickle.

cheers for the info will look into that as its something that will tickle my pickle!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Has rebound not always been on the bottom of the fork leg? Not sure why you would want to adjust on the fly?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    15% sag is very little... Unless you like your forks to feel like they're rigid...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    kester wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Nice looking bike!

re-bound! couldn't think of the word when i was writing the original post. even so my old fox forks had the rebound adjust at the top of the fork leg so you could adjust it whilst riding, it jut seems a bit strange that they would change it to the bottom of the fork.

People tend to adjust compression on the fly, I've never wanted to adjust my rebound while riding along and it seems the manufacturers have cottoned onto this. With people wanting to adjust low-speed compression far more often than rebound it makes sense that the rebound goes on the bottom of the fork leg. May I ask why you adjust your rebound while riding? Seems an odd thing to want to adjust, most folks just set it and forget.
  • paul.skibum
    Lewis A wrote:
    15% sag is very little... Unless you like your forks to feel like they're rigid...

He's got Fox forks - 15% means they might not hit full travel riding off a curb.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A wrote:

He's got Fox forks - 15% means they might not hit full travel riding off a curb.
    True. Are they really that bad or are they just poor?
  • paul.skibum
    Well I hate mine.

I took them to a Fox service guy at Crankworx and asked him about them - his best possible solution was a back alley, dodgy fix that Fox dont approve which was to put oil in the air chamber to make them sit up in their travel more in an attempt to let you run lower pressures to get small bump sensitivity without collapsing. That is balls. If their service techs cant stand by a product I'd say its a product that should never have made it to the consumer.

I wont buy Fox again. And anyone who asks me wont hear good things.
  • Lewis A
    Don't Fox have ridiculous service intervals too? I do really like the look of the Doss post though, a fixed 'trail' position really makes sense to me.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Ride report, please.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • paul.skibum
    Lewis A wrote:
    Don't Fox have ridiculous service intervals too? I do really like the look of the Doss post though, a fixed 'trail' position really makes sense to me.

I dont think they are that much worse than RS but they expect you to actually do it where as RS can survive without it!
  • Lewis A wrote:

I dont think they are that much worse than RS but they expect you to actually do it where as RS can survive without it!

Unless its a newer RS with black stanchions which people are noticing wear on :wink:
  • kester
    Ride report, please.

Going out properly on it tomorrow. This pesky thing called work keeps getting in the way! Will report back after then
  • Angus Young
    If it rides as good as it looks it's going to be fab.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    That's a beaut! Where did you get it from op?
  • kester
    Rigga wrote:
    That's a beaut! Where did you get it from op?

from the bike-shop at whinaltter forest. Mondraker released a limited number of black alloy framed Foxy R's due to the success of selling so many bikes due to winning WMB bike of the year.

went out on my first proper ride with the foxy today, didn't go all out as just trying to run the cables and chain in and get used to having a new bike. even so it felt very stable going over all types of terrain and when pointed downhill there was no dramas to be had.
    Suspension on the bike felt very smooth and no noticeable effects from the forks which i know have been slated, but as i have said in earlier posts my old suspension forks i had were 6years old so these feel very nice compared to them. Can only imagine how the pikes feel better again! had no issues with bottoming out as i said during my demo on the foxy, assume i've just had time to set up the suspension better and not going flat out that has helped there.

only niggle i noticed were the Ardent tyres were a bit iffy but is to be expected with stock rubber on the bikes. anyone got any suggestions for some good all-round tyres??

image_zps8c43fbc9.jpg?t=1409246829
  • Very cool looking bike.

Personally I find Bontrager XR4 2.35 Team Issue Tyres a great all round choice.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • kester
    so has been a while since last posted on here but wanted to give some quick updates. Have been setting numerous P.B's on my strava in cool wet and windy conditions on this bike yet all my old P.B's were set in dry spring/summer conditions on my old bike, so can't wait till next summer and get faster again on this foxy!

finally put some 160mm pikes on today but haven't been out riding on them as of yet. was surprised at how much lighter the pikes were to hold compared to the fox 140mm forks i did have on before

image_zps7febbd0a.jpg
  • The bike is gorgeous mate.

I looked at foxy frames and i thinbk my next bike will be all my current parts on a foxy frame.
    Not seen one in black looking this good though.

Well done on ditching the fox for the pike, im sure youll love it. Put up a few words when you have had achance to ride it. plenty of scope for improvements on the finishing kit too but im a bit jeaous!
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005
  • Angus Young
    Such a great looking bike and, I imagine, a great ride.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lewis A wrote:

Could be worse. The X Fusion rep at a race last month told me that a DIY lower lube invalidates the warranty so you need to get a professional service from an approved technician every 3-4 months. That's pretty much the cost of a new fork every year in maintenence!
  • kester
    had my first ride on the new pikes round mabie forrest and the difference was very noticeable especially the small bump sensitivity could barely feel some of the roots / rocks that you run over. only had them on the medium settings so still to dial them in to my liking.

image_zps4abd1e1b.jpg
  • kester
    Hi guys quick update. got sick of the Onoff grips on the bike as on long rides they didn't offer much comfort and hands would get really sore, have now put on some Han Solo grips and they are a lot comfier to grip with plus they came in bright green!

image_zpsktgyt8ed.jpg

also today whilst out riding i buckled the front wheel in a crash, having never buckled a wheel before is this something that could be repaired by an LBS as it doesn't look too badly damaged or just play it safe and buy a new wheel?

image_zpsfbz631vw.jpg?t=1425066540

some good news though, I am now 2nd on the strava leaderboards for a segment that I didn't even ride!!
  • Couldn't get on with Han Solo grips but then I only tried then without gloves.

Bummer about the wheel. Mild buckle may be ok but with any metal once you bend it you will get fatigue and weakness once bent back. Long term I would look to replace it.

There are a few Strava segments at Swinley that have fireroads running parallel to them and sometimes get picked up translating into a really quick segment time. There's a short bit of 40 seconds tech that have a load of people at 20 seconds because they have gone down the fireroad and unintentionally picked up the segment.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • kester
    Bummer about the wheel. Mild buckle may be ok but with any metal once you bend it you will get fatigue and weakness once bent back. Long term I would look to replace it.

cheers for the reply, thought that maybe the case will just look at getting a new wheel. the pic i posted is of the wheel straighter than when i first crashed as i had to ride 3-4 miles back to my car, i just brute forced it a bit straighter as the wheel wobble was rubbing badly against the inner leg of my fork
  • paul.skibum
    Couldn't get on with Han Solo grips but then I only tried then without gloves.

There are a few Strava segments at Swinley that have fireroads running parallel to them and sometimes get picked up translating into a really quick segment time. There's a short bit of 40 seconds tech that have a load of people at 20 seconds because they have gone down the fireroad and unintentionally picked up the segment.

I know of a few tracks like that where you can get the time by having a quick squirt near by - but there are some places I ride where the fastest time can only be on the correct track and the times are ridiculous (compared to mine). An ewok on a speeder bike must have set them.