Starnut tool

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited August 2014 in Workshop
So I'm going to cut my steerer tube down in my bike I was wandering if I can get away with not using a star nut tool and just hammering the it down with a rubber hammer. Also am I right unthinking there doesn't have to be any spacers between the top of my head set and my stem

Thanks for any help

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    i've used an approx 12mm or 13mm socket in the past with success, hitting it with a metal hammer.

you don't have to have any spacers above or below the stem
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Piece of round wood does the job.
    Didn't even know a tool existed for that purpose.....
    In case of a carbon streerer i would certainly use a spacer above the stem.
  • tubbs_214
    It's alloy so is the stem I'll give it ago this weekend. If I cock it up I'll just take it to the shop and get them to fix it.
  • what the others said - just to add obviously the reason you need to use _something_ that closely resembles the internal diameter of the tube is so that when you knock it in it the nut is straight so that it will accept the bolt from the top nut correctly. Sorry if that was pointing out the obvious :)
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Keezx wrote:

Agreed with this - leave 2mm of steerer above final stem height, and use a 5mm spacer between top cap and stem.
  • tubbs_214
    rafletcher wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Agreed with this - leave 2mm of steerer above final stem height, and use a 5mm spacer between top cap and stem.

So does this apply for alloy stems and alloy steerer. My cube hasn't got a spacer on the top.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No it's not necessary with a alloy steerer.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Just don't use a star nut on a carbon steerer tube!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS