Ultegra 6800 alternatives

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

It's another what wheelset question I'm afraid. I'm pretty much sold on a set of Ultegra Wheels, good discount at the moment from Chain reactions, but have I overlooked something???

I have a set of lightweight Carbons for dry / good rides so I'm looking for a nice set of wheels for commuting training and general purpose use.
The wheels that came with my bike don't do 11 speed and I now have Ultegra 6800 on the bikes.
I'm not a racing snake by any means ( 86 kgs) but enjoy taking on the hills and am one of the better climbers in my club.
I am interested in but not yet sold on tubeless.

So something thats pretty light, pretty stiff, pretty robust, can take 11 speed Shimano and tubeless. Oh and around or under 300 quid.

Anything better in your opinion than a set of 6800????

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    £300 is archetype rim on novatec hub money, if handbuilts interest you.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's ZONDA time!!! :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I've already written 2 responses which have gone missing so third time lucky hopefully :)

Zondas were on the list. Was just a bit worried about strength based on the number and pattern of spokes. Also I'd have to have a campy sticker on my shimano bike :)

Not against handbuilts but I am impatient so when I've decided I like them I want them :)
    Any recommendations for a builder??
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Phil485 wrote:
    I've already written 2 responses which have gone missing so third time lucky hopefully :)

Zondas were on the list. Was just a bit worried about strength based on the number and pattern of spokes. Also I'd have to have a campy sticker on my shimano bike :)

Not against handbuilts but I am impatient so when I've decided I like them I want them :)
    Any recommendations for a builder??

Thecycleclinic is active on this forum ;) I don't know what his build times are like, but he does quite a lot of archetypes I think, so is likely to have stock.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Only a set of RS81 which would be around £370.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Thecycleclinic is active on this forum ;) I don't know what his build times are like, but he does quite a lot of archetypes I think, so is likely to have stock.

Current lead time is 3 weeks (I ordered some from him today), but he may have pre-built stock depending on what you want.
  • If mixing Campag with Shimano bugs you check out the Fulcrum Racing 3. They're pretty much the same wheel as the Zonda. For that matter, the Fulcrum Quattros are great bang for buck and look good.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I've just bought some Fulcrum Racing 5's for £171 from Ribble. Seem's a good price although I was tempted by the Zonda's.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Got some Zonda's I race on them when I need to ride to crits and don't have a taxi service if my tubs blow up...good wheels and you don't need to worry about durability...although I'm 68KG but they are solid.