Are my Rockshox reba's 2011 or 2012?

Siarm
Siarm Posts: 102
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to service them, but am unsure of the year of the forks, so need to find out the year so I use the right amount of oil.

I thought they were 2012, but looking at this tech doc from sram, page 8, there's a little pic of a white fork and it looks like mine.

IMG_5577_zps5efbe173.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Check the first two numbers of the serial number on the back of the crown.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They look exactly the same as my mate's 2011s
  • Siarm
    Cheers chaps.

This is the serial number.

IMG_5574_zps19f44e1f.jpg

EDIT: Just been doing some searching on serial numbers and it appears the first number after the T is the year, so in my case 2012, and the first two numbers are the week they were made.
  • njee20
    Ah yes, sorry, not first two!
  • Siarm
    No worries, I appreciate the help and got me on the right track :D

I actually emailed Sram earlier, thinking that I wouldn't get a reply, but got a response saying;

Thanks for your message. Your fork shows up as:

12 FS RBA RL 26QR DA100 WHTSO RMT

This is a 2012 Reba RL Dual Air with 100mm of travel, remote compression damper. This fork has an A1 chassis.

So at lease I now 100% know they're 2012 so know how much oil to use.
  • njee20
    Impressive from SRAM!
  • Siarm
    Oh really, they're not normally good then?

Must have caught them on a good day.
  • njee20
    No, just meant that's impressive of any multinational company! I'd expect a generic email after 3 weeks normally. Fair play to them!
  • Siarm
    Yer I was very impressed.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Ive recently been to the SRAM Tech Centre in Windsor for some training through work. They have a workshop there where the technicians answer emails on their computers, phone calls through their headsets, and work on forks all at the same time. So they're pretty busy people but at least you are getting info from the guys who actually do the work and servicing rather than someone who is sat behind a desk all day.
  • Siarm
    That's good to know, do they make sandwiches to order too.. BLT along with a fork service please. :lol:

How'd you get on there?
  • Haha.

It was really good. Gained some more insight into the internals of their forks, rear shocks, and brakes. They had 'cutaway' brake levers and enlarged, see-through versions of the RS dampers. We did some brake bleeding and reverb bleeding also so all in all a good day!
  • Siarm
    Sounds like fun.

See through dampers is a clever idea, get to see how it all works I guess?