650b Tyres

Meirion658
Meirion658 Posts: 20
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all I need a new set of tyres for my 2014 trance for the Welsh trails that are at my door step any suggestions on what to use? It getting a mind field now. Would prefer a tubeless ready Tyre just in case I change over

Thanks

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Just fitted a set of Bontrager XR4 team issues to mine tubeless, yet to test them in anger but they seem highly regarded.
  • TheGava
    TheGava Posts: 220
    I'm running Maxxis Highroller II's on my Trance 2!! Run them Tubeless as well!!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Minion pair (DHF/DHR2) in 2.3 EXO TR 3C Maxx terra. Hows that for specific :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:

That what you call attention to detail!! :lol:
  • benpinnick wrote:

How much? Where from? Any good in mud (don't want mud-specific tyre, but something a bit more capable than my Ardent's for the coming months!)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am running HR II in 3C EXO front and rear - plan to drop a Minion DHF on the front when I change them. Probably stick with the HR II rear though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:

How much? Where from? Any good in mud (don't want mud-specific tyre, but something a bit more capable than my Ardent's for the coming months!)

Not cheap - £50 an end, any maxxis dealer or here (although the DHR2 is out of stock at the mo). http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx/MAXXIS-MTB-650B

Yes they work well in mud, not mud tyres, but well enough you probably wont need to change. The DHR2 is particularly good - like the lovechild of the DHF and a High Roller. I am going to stick one on the front to see how that goes, but I think it will be awesome.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Not cheap - £50 an end, any maxxis dealer or here (although the DHR2 is out of stock at the mo). http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx/MAXXIS-MTB-650B

Yes they work well in mud, not mud tyres, but well enough you probably wont need to change. The DHR2 is particularly good - like the lovechild of the DHF and a High Roller. I am going to stick one on the front to see how that goes, but I think it will be awesome.

Ouch!! That is a lot!! :shock:

I'm sure they're a decent tyre, but I think I'll have to go for something a little less expensive. How do they size up? I've got a 2.4 Ardent on the front at the moment; wouldn't really want to reduce volume from that.

Can anyone recomend something good (and cheaper than £50) for the rear, in 2.3/2.4 flavour, that would be a good allrounder but deal OK with mud too?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If you want to save money and the ardents have some life left in them I'd be tempted to keep the rear one on and put a minion on the front in a fairly sticky compound.
  • benpinnick
    WTB Vigilante is a great rear if you want volume - its massive! Works ok on the front too (but its no minion). Maybe a High Roller 2 for the front in EXO Dual compound, and a vigilante Team on the back?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Iv just fitted a Michelin wild grip R2 advanced on the front of my HT..and I'm very impressed with it loads of grip in the wet..holds well on wet rocks and tree ruts, clears the mud quick..and won't break to banks. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod118462

Going to get one for the rear I'm that impressed.
  • Hi all thanks for your replies went for a High roller II 3c up front and a ardent at the rear with a new set of stans flow ex what a fantastic combo.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    good trail/'enduro' setup that

The Flow EXs are bombproof, I've been smashing mine around for 6 months and they're showing no signs of letting up