Brand new Stumpjumper or 2nd Hand GT Force?

sloth109
sloth109 Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys just joined forum for the first time and would really like some advice.

I'm on the cusp of upgrading to a new bike, going from an entry level Whyte Hardtail to a full-susser. I was just about to invest in a brand new Specialized Stumpjumper 650b evo comp when I came across a GT Force Carbon (4 months old) on ebay for the same price.

I'm totally in torment as to what bike to go for!!

I'm quite a newbie so I don't really know the difference in spec to make a well informed guess. I test rode the Stumpy in London and I fell in love with it but I'm guessing the GT is better because the retail price.

If anyone has some advice I would be eternally grateful!!!

Cheers Stu

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What year and model Force is it? There are a few variations!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Stumpy for me. You might not get the best spec for the money with Specialized these days, but the bikes do ride really nice and warranty is superb. If the GT is the Expert model then it does seem to have better spec but I'd prefer the fork from the Stumpy. I haven't been on a GT since the 90s so I'm not sure how they ride though, and obviously no warranty if buying used... something I'd definitely want on a carbon bike.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thanks for the quick response guys. The GT is the 2014 model, it's currently in the sale at most places as they're obviously bringing out a new model where as the Stumpy is a 2015 bike - not that that really matters but that is a very good point you made about the warranty!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Personally I'd go for the stumpy, a solid bike that will last you ages.. maybe not the best spec but you can always upgrade around the solid frame
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Stumpy, then upgrade as things wear out (or sooner if you get the upgrade bug :D ).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Thanks for all the advice guys it certainly has made my decision a lot easier! Stumpy it is I think!