Drivetrain upgrade for 2014 Remedy 8

Matthollandrums
Matthollandrums Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade to a SRAM X01 1x11 setup on my Trek remedy 8.
Anyone have advice about the right bottom bracket type, Q factor and chainring size please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Looks like a BB95 pressfit bottom bracket on the Remedy. So get one of them. Found that out by looking at the Trek website. I think the BB30 fits the BB95 but I could be wrong.

Q Factor - not all that relevant in mountain biking generally but you can work out the axle width by measuring your existing cranks presumably?

[side note - I just read some bR article on BB standards and f*** me that is a confusing mess - Santa Cruz sticking with threaded BB makes me so happy!]

Chainring size - how fit are you and where do you ride? What gears do you currently use at the low and high end, which can you do without? For example if you are currently running the standard Remedy 8 drivetrain you have a 40/30/22 triple and an 11-36 cassette (per the website) - if you regularly find yourself in the 22 and 36 ranges to get up hills I would suggest either getting fitter before going to 1x11 or fitting a 28t front ring. If you find that the middle ring is flavour of the month and you rarely use the granny then a 32 or 34t might work as with the extended cassette at the back you will be sitting pretty for gear ratios. At the end of the day look at gear ratios you currently have and work out what you would have with a 28t, 30t and 32t on an 11 speed and decide where you fall.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Iirc BB30 won't fit a BB95, as one of them is a wider shell (BB95, I think). That leaves GXP, but you don't actually need to use an X01 chainset with X01 anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, just stick a narrow wide ring on your existing crankset, sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.