Chain link slightly stiff

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited August 2014 in Road general
I have just upgraded to the new 105 (11 speed 5800) and today I went for my first decent ride. There is one link which is slightly stiff and (only) occasionally when it goes through the rear derailleur it causes the chain to jump slightly because it is stiff and still slightly bent.

Any ideas the best way to sort it?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Grab the chain and flex the stiff link gently from side to side..
  • The stiff link is probably where it was connected with a chain tool. Its not possible to put it together perfectly like the factory.

For future reference use a power link.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Its not possible to put it together perfectly like the factory.

Yes it is. I've done it many times, as I'm sure have countless others. There is no secret to it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The stiff link is probably where it was connected with a chain tool. Its not possible to put it together perfectly like the factory.

For future reference use a power link.

haha.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    One turn too many with a chain tool will cause the side plates to bend in making them tight, just need to straighten them out a touch, I use a screw driver in the space and twist, it is only a very small amount, you have to be careful, or holding the two links and moving them backwards and forwards and a slight twist usually does the same too.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike