Buy or build? Lightweight hybrid / mtb

bissona
bissona Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Hi all,

As above, trying to decide whether to buy something close to my requirements or build from scratch / bits I already have. The objectives are:

1. Physical comfort - 21/XL frame, sprung fork for my ageing corpse
2. Weight - target of 11kg and under
3. Desirable - can't look too much like a bitsa
4. Simplicity of maintenance - no front derailleur, maybe v-brakes instead of discs, internal cable routing(?)
5. Low rolling resistance but some light off-road ability
6. Budget - c.£800, preferably less

In my minds eye I have a light, slightly old-school frame (I miss my stumpy comp that was nicked :( ), the lightest fork I can afford (I have a set of Pace rc36PC2's spare), light 700c wheels, c.32mm tyres, 10 speed, raised bars... that's about as far as I've got. I recognise the issues with 700c wheels and brake mounting points, and I've already fallen foul of a frame without sufficient tyre clearance (doh!).

On the flip side, I could just buy a Crosstrail Comp Disc and be done with it. While I'm sure it would be a great all-round bike I'm just not sure it's ever going to weigh little enough, or have that smidgen of originality, for me to be wholly happy.

My rides vary from 5 mile commutes through to 30 mile+ evening rides (75% on road), pub (and pub-to-pub) transport, and short spins with children. I'm 6'1", 90kg, a bit wobbly and still like to do the odd jump / wheelie / stoppie despite being old enough to be a grandparent.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Al

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd probably build from scratch, or simply convert a 29er MTB by selling what you don't need and adding in what you do.

As for sizing, they vary so much in reach. You are only just above average height, so I imagine many XL frames could well be too big.

This is slightly over budget, but if you sold the dropper post and the spare bits from the drivetrain you'd be about on course, and would have a superb frame and fork into the bargain and would be close to your target weight, if not under it. Plus it is an adaptable bike - stick the fat tyres back on and ready to hit the trails.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/o ... ntain-bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My bike kind of fits your remit (apart from size as I'm shorter than you), I built it up on a Carrera Gryphon frame, it's meant to be on 700c wheels but I'm using 26" (disc brakes) so I can run tyres with more give, I'm using Mosso Rigid forks as they are quite forgiving, it has flat bars and I'm using lightweight cross top levers and a twist shift to minimise clutter on the bars, it's using a stronglight single speed crankset and a simple chain guide (1x9), without rack and guards it comes in at a tiny bit over 9.5Kg, most parts bought used and it cost me about £450.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.