Morse Code

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited September 2014 in The bottom bracket
Morse code is a method of transmitting text information as a series of on-off tones, lights, or clicks that can be directly understood by a listener or observer without special equipment. Invented by Inspector Morse in 1997, it is so simple that even sailors can use it, and they're so stupid they regularly run aground into massive islands (think Costa Concordia here).

Morse code was recently banned in North Korea for being 'a bit subversive', mainly because the draconian authorities didn't understand the basic concept of dots and dashes, separated by slashes to signify the end of a word, saw it as a threat and removed all traces of it (think George Orwell's 1984 or the worst days of Communist Russia here).

If anybody is interested in increasing their knowledge of this mainstay of early communications, there is a great wiki article here (or should I say .... . .-. .)

Comments

• brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Although, it's not used anymore.

No longer a requirement to know as part of RYA qualifications for Yachtmaster examinations. Time has moved on and radios are seen as more effective.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    It can be used for secret messages these days though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • GiantMike
    brianonyx wrote:

No longer a requirement to know as part of RYA qualifications for Yachtmaster examinations. Time has moved on and radios are seen as more effective.
    Airfields identify themselves by flashing their 2 letter ident in morse code. Marker buoys indicate themselves by flashing lights at set repetitions (and gaps between repetitions). Like morse, just a bit different. Airfield and marker buoys work in the event of radio failure.
  • GiantMike
    Also, aircraft radio nav aids (such as VOR DMEs and NDBs) identify themselves with morse code. And if and aircraft has a radio failure, it can transmit in morse using the carrier wave (if it's available).
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Marker buoy identification is nothing like morse and is clearly not a 2 way communication. They are, for example, 3 quick red flashes every 10 seconds. Even so, due to GPS prevalence Trinity House is also looking at long term withdrawal of beacons and flashing buoys to save cost.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Some mods join in the fun:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12907225
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • GiantMike
    edited August 2014
    Some mods join in the fun:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12907225
    I wonder what morse code for 'that's ironic' is. Actually, I know, but I can't post it here.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Prefer semaphore myself...
  • GiantMike
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Prefer semaphore myself...
    Weirdo
    w.gif
    e.gif
    i.gif
    r.gif
    d.gif
    o.gif
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Do you feel lucky punk. Well, do you?

A_Wren_transmitting_messages_using_an_Aldis_lamp_in_1944._D19088.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    The number 0 is five dashes, how succinct :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    The number 0 is five dashes, how succinct :D

The number 5 is 5 dots. Er, where are you going with this?
  • team47b
    Well, in a logical sequence you would expect the lowest number to have the least number of dots n' dashes, and not for all numbers to have the same total of five, although if I was vtwonk i would argue that that was untrue because of the crusades.
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    Well, in a logical sequence you would expect the lowest number to have the least number of dots n' dashes, and not for all numbers to have the same total of five, although if I was vtwonk i would argue that that was untrue because of the crusades.

I think you misunderstand me and all you want to do is cause an argument because you don't like me and don't understand that as it's my taxes that are going into paying your pension whilst you live the high life in Portugal.
    You're wrong about the crusades, it was Gunga Din that invented morse code. I know 'cos I met his great grandson on the M4...

cont...p94
  • team47b
    team47b wrote:

I think you misunderstand me and all you want to do is cause an argument because you don't like me and don't understand that as it's my taxes that are going into paying your pension whilst you live the high life in Portugal.
    You're wrong about the crusades, it was Gunga Din that invented morse code. I know 'cos I met his great grandson on the M4...

cont...p94

Pension, bastardo, I aint that old :shock:

Fungal din (ipad spelling!) Was going over 12.4% over the limit on that M4, was he going to wales, do you think he's a mate of stevo?
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    brianonyx wrote:

I hardly think the RYA Yachtmaster is the be all and end all of exams. Virtually give that ticket away nowadays - I've sailed with better crew who only held Day Skipper...and let's not get started on the RYA :roll: .
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    -... --- --. / --- ..-. ..-. / --. .. .- -. - / -- .. -.- .
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pinno
    Rolf F wrote:
    -... --- --. / --- ..-. ..-. / --. .. .- -. - / -- .. -.- .

WARNING Ow, oooo :shock: Don't do that. This is not an official morse code thread. WARNING, WARNING, ejaculate ejaculate...sorry EVACUATE EVACUATE nee naw nee naw nee naw....

BTW - He has bogged off- on holiday courtesy of the management.
  • rolf_f
    I didn't even know there was an official morse code thread! Where is it? I want to insult people with dots and dashes.
  • pinno
    Rolf F wrote:
    I didn't even know there was an official morse code thread! Where is it? I want to insult people with dots and dashes.

We did all that. The thread was deleted. GM was onto something: a BR conspiracy theory. It was like the x files except even more difficult follow.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

We did all that. The thread was deleted. GM was onto something: a BR conspiracy theory. It was like the x files except even more difficult follow.

It sounds ideal - you only get to read the utter crap if you really make the effort! What could be better? I need to pay more attention. Was there a Morse version of the "Girls in" thread?
  • pinno
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

It sounds ideal - you only get to read the utter crap if you really make the effort! What could be better? I need to pay more attention. Was there a Morse version of the "Girls in" thread?

I am pretty sure some well placed dots and dashes would keep certain pics within the rules.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    Awaiting over-reaction....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    I can't hear the footsteps coming down the corridor either...
  • pinno
    If AM73 gets a holiday, who is going to pick the winner of the caption comp?