Cotic BFe: My first ever build has started

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited September 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Well, I decided I'd build my new bike so I have a better idea about how things work and how to fix them (generally I'm just lazy and take my bikes to the LBS). I've never built a bike before, so I imagine this isn't going to be a quick build! I fell off my road bike and factured my collarbone a few weeks ago anyway, so I'm not in a rush to get it done.

I'm using some of the bits off my old bike (forks, wheels, handlebar, saddle and seatpost), but am putting on new shifters and derailleurs (have converted to 2x10), and am replacing my Avid Juicy brakes with XTs.

Anyhow, here are a few pictures showing where I've got to so far. I live in a shared house, so don't have anywhere else really to build it apart from my bedroom! I don't know whether there's a specific order to do things in, so feel free to give any tips.

DSC01083.jpg
DSC01084.jpg
DSC01085.jpg
DSC01087.jpg

Comments

• jf22901
    And here are the things still to go on:

DSC01089.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Put pedals on last, they only get in the way ;) looks nice though! Enjoy :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking good so far....not a budget build then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jf22901
    Well I purchased the new pieces here and there when I saw a good deal, so it's not too expensive (I seem to recall the XO stuff was previous year's stock, hence the price reduction). I did plump for XT brakes too, rather than try to be tarty and get some expensive Hope bling. :D
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Been tempted by one of these, looked at stripping my old trance to build it. Not sure funds allow it though.
  • ilovedirt
    Xts are way better than anything hope have ever made anyway. The only reason they cost more is because they're cnc'd and thus take hours and cost a fortune to make.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Xts are way better than anything hope have ever made anyway. The only reason they cost more is because they're cnc'd and thus take hours and cost a fortune to make.

Very much this! Bike looks great, sure you'll love it! Mines definitely one of the best hardtails I've ever ridden.
  • jf22901
    Well the brakes have been fitted and the hoses shortened (I was quite pleased with myself doing that). :D On to the derailleurs now, which seem the most complicated part (and I'm stuck already!) Feel free to follow my progress in the Workshop & Tech, forum. :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    Derailleurs are dead easy, just follow the instructions in the box. Once you've realised that the mech naturally wants to rest in the smallest cog, and all the shifters do is pull it up one by one by means of a bit of cable, it's really simple.

1. mount derailleur
    2. set limit screws at each end
    3. install cable with shifter and mech in hardest gear
    4. fit chain
    5. run gears up and down and tweak cable tension using barrel adjuster if it doesn't shift properly. More tension (screw adjuster out) if it does not go into easier gears properly. Less tension (screw adjuster in) if it does not go into harder gears properly.
    Done!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jf22901
    I have fitted the rear derailleur! It really was as simple as you said (though the instructions in the box were incomprehensible to me). I feel like I can fix anything now! :D

The only thing is, the cable has slightly frayed where I clamped it with the screw (I must have tightened it too hard). It seems sturdy enough though, so will this be okay? Or are frayed cables frowned upon? :?
  • ilovedirt
    Should be fine, though might be worth carrying a spare cable with you when riding, just as a general rule.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Get a cable end cap and crimp it on to the end of the cable to stop it fraying in future. Good job and nice bike!
  • jf22901
    Well, the steerer still needs to be cut to size, and the saddle is not adjusted yet, but it's pretty much done. :D

finished.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not usually a fan of white rims but they do work well with the forks, saddle and of course the down tube logo, very tastes full and OE looking.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    Looks sweet! Needs a dropper post though ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Very nice build big fan of the Bfe, definitely get a dropper for it. I would look at a shorter stem as well.
  • ilovedirt
    Oh aye shorter stem too, that one is rather long! She wants to be ridden hard that bike, and a short stem and dropper post would help no end!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looking good that 8)

Definitely needs a dropper though, transformed my BFe when I fitted one :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • jf22901
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

What size stems do other people have on their BFe's? The one that is on currently is a 115mm stem from my previous bike. Will get a dropper for Christmas. :D
  • ilovedirt
    50mm would probably be about right.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I'm running a 50mm on my BFe and it suits it perfectly
    Cotic BFE MK II