Which one is the better?

Drewblez
Drewblez Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in MTB general
I have been given 2 bikes recently for my wife, a Raleigh Atlanta & a Raleigh Tantrum. Both are in fair condition but a wanted to know what are there pros & cons and which is the better bike for her? Once she has started using one of them regularly I will buy her a new one. :shock:

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    One is for men, the other is for women, both are rubbish.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Both models were available for women, although we obviously don't know if that's the case here.

Drew - there's not much between them to be honest so just go with whatever she's feels most comfortable on.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • both are ladies, I don't expect them to compare to any serious mountain bikes but as I said, once she shows she will use it I will get something half decent. Just don't want an expensive bike never used & sat taking up space in the shed. My idea is to give her the "least bad" one of the pair to start off with.
  • Thanks CitizenLee, that makes the most sense. I think the Atlanta might be easier as it dose not have grip shift gears to more straight forward. un tike me & most of my friends when we where kids she didn't really ride bikes where as we where rarely off ours. lol
  • God my typing is getting worse. lol. should have read, "so" more straight forward & "unlike". lol
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    No probs, was in a similar boat getting my gf back into cycling a few years ago!

Started off on a cheap old bike to get her going and then ended up getting her a Scott :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Well looks like I've got punctures to fix & seats to lower then see how it goes. Thanks again CL.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Whichever fit her best and is most comfortable. Nothing guaranteed to put a newbie off more than a sore arris, back and wrists after the first ride offroad.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Be careful! The missus and I have found ourselves in an expensive "bike arms race".
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp