Rear derailleur fitting

jf22901
jf22901 Posts: 155
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right - yet another question pertaining to my bike build, and there are likely to be more in the coming days. Sorry about that!

I'm trying to fit the rear derailleur (SRAM X0 10 speed), and from all the online videos they just seem to bolt them on and then extend the mechanism before feeding the chain through. However, after bolting it on to the frame (Cotic BFe) I can't extend it, as it moves inwards and hits the cassette (see picture).

Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong? Am I supposed to use some additional attachment? There's no cables or anything attached yet, so is the problem that it's set in the position for the biggest cog on the cassette?

I have to say that the instructions that come with bike components are terrible for a newbie like me. :( Thank goodness this forum is here!

r_derailleur.jpg

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    At the point where the derailleur screws onto the hanger, check that it's alligned properly, with the body of the derailleur (the bit with the logo on it) rotated forwards (anti-clockwise as we're looking at it there) until the stops on the hanger and derailleur butt up to each other.
  • jf22901
    The stops are butting up against eachother. I've found that if I unscrew the B-tension screw quite a long way then I can avoid the derailleur hitting the cassette. I guess I'll have to put the chain and cables on, and then alter the B-tension screw again when tuning everything up.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You guess right
  • jf22901
    Go me! :mrgreen: