Whyte Suffolk Winter bike (disk brake content)

super_prestige
super_prestige Posts: 300
edited February 2015 in Your road bikes
My new winter bike, 2015 Whyte Suffolk with TRP Hydro brakes cable operated.
Just bike from a quick 30 mile shake down ride, needs a few tweeks, longer stem a possibly a - deg stem.
New tyres are on order some Pro Race 4.

Shimano 11 speed,
FSA evo crank,
TRP Hyd cable Hydro brakes.
38mm RD7 rims.

bf6b2d2ca9acb24895a254c6915b9108_zps2dc2c34d.jpg
ea041aad91973886520b8a6802c305dc_zps4764c8a5.jpg
a62ea35f9a558af5b0f65a3f4faf2948_zpsa69aa3c3.jpg
b5bd3acd64eda340d3ec2ae5b298b8a1_zps983e065f.jpg
906c659593c6634899833752af2596df_zpsb71f99fd.jpg
d38e3934a931b7ffa3f7952c74efbdcb_zps486fc45f.jpg
Building:
S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
Race:
Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s

Comments

• Nice........but does it take mudguards? :?:
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Nice, me likes!!

How are the brakes, thinking of changing to these on my kinesis?
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Nice........but does it take mudguards? :?:

Yes, there is plenty of space for guards, I only picked it up yesterday, will be putting the mud guards on In a few weeks, when i put the good bike away.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • Markjaspi wrote:
    Nice, me likes!!

How are the brakes, thinking of changing to these on my kinesis?

The brakes are very good, and should get even better when bedded in.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Nicely slammed
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Nicely slammed
    Are you not getting just a little obsessed with this.......
  • super_prestige
    super_prestige Posts: 300
    edited August 2014
    First 50 miler on it completed, a few tweaks required mid ride, saddle need to raised 10mm and also altered the saddle angle slightly.
    The bars need to come down even more, new stem to order with a longer reach by about 10mm then that should be it.
    Mug guards to go in an a few weeks, when I start to ride it all the time. There's a few weeks left in the good bike before the bad weather.

The brakes are better than I thought, very progressive, not grabby and can only get better once they are bedded in.
    I have cut the steerer down to make the front end a bit tidier, and will shortening all the cables, they are unnecessarily long.

c547549094ba118e13dbe3d841845b4e_zps85c49981.jpg
    Non drive side showing the discs.

9bcc6677a8749e629902135a918b46e8_zpsea3ed9ce.jpg
    Nice detail touches.

b5bd3acd64eda340d3ec2ae5b298b8a1_zps983e065f.jpg
    Front brake set up.

1864397c3169b86a5b456f8b460bd800_zps75f6366e.jpg
    Rear brake set up.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Nicely slammed

I can't quite work out if it is satire or not...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I like this a lot. Great to see choice expanding in the road disc market.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Nicely slammed

This area of the forum is all about bicycle appreciation and detail obsession and whether you like it or not a slammed stem looks cool and an upside down one with two inches of spacers underneath looks bad...
    Then of course someone might need that configuration for comfort or for a million reasons, but the bike still looks cack...
    left the forum March 2023
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The drop looks huge, that's a very aggressive looking position for a winter bike. Super looking bike though and well specced.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Very nice bike - how much do you think it weighs? Also what size have you gone for?

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • letap73 wrote:
    The drop looks huge, that's a very aggressive looking position for a winter bike. Super looking bike though and well specced.

The drop is 130mm, which is the same as my summer bike. Which makes the position almost the same as my summer bike, I think it is best to get your position on all your bikes as close as possible.

image_zps71289c1a.jpg
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • tazmon wrote:
    Very nice bike - how much do you think it weighs? Also what size have you gone for?

Cheers
    Rory

Thanks, I weighs just under 10kg, aluminium frame and carbon forks.
    I went for the 54", as the frames are quite large, my good bike in previous post is a 56", I am 6.2" and it fits like a dream, although I do like a big drop.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • Super Prestige,

I would love your views on the Suffolk now you've had it a couple of weeks as I'm considering buying one!

Ta.
  • Super Prestige,

I would love your views on the Suffolk now you've had it a couple of weeks as I'm considering buying one!

Ta.

WV, I have had the bike for around 3 weeks, and clocked up around 500 miles on it, would have been more but due the recent weather the good bike remains in service for the time being.

The ride is smooth, the aluminium frame is I bit more forgiving than carbon, 28 mm tyres make a massive difference compared to my normal 25's.
    105 is surprisingly very good, the brakes are superb, I am so impressed with them I will be looking at a specialized s works disk frame set for next summer.

I really can't think of any negative comments, just watch the sizing when buying the frames are on the large side.
    Mine is a 54" my good bike is a 56"
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Lovely bike fella. Been looking at something similar myself. This looks like it could be the right thing. Discs are a real plus point for me. Perfect winter brakes.
  • Please don't put mudguards on it!!!!! If its raining your gonna get wet anyhow.
  • dodgy
    79543dean wrote:
    Please don't put mudguards on it!!!!! If its raining your gonna get wet anyhow.

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-stupid.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Nicely slammed

Less tiresome surely than being obsessed with telling people not to put mudguards on their bikes?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Red-Eye
    Red-Eye Posts: 20
    Got a 2014 Suffolk myself, great bike and looks better with mudguards IMHO. As previously stated, becareful when choosing bike size, I've got a 54 when my summer bike is a 56 or M/L. I also feel that the stem is a bit short, could do with an extra 10-20mm. I've tweaked my ride more from the picture, twisted bars more flat top & raised seat by approx. 10-15mm, all good now. Looks like it's going to be used a bit more now the weather is changing :-/

imagejpg1_zpsb9b4993f.jpg
  • Winter mode,

80A017C6-7E81-46D2-B9E8-C5E657174D92_zpscsyz94xd.jpg

77FC8297-5575-441E-B94B-D3DEDF10E98E_zpsgriokq3b.jpg

95DE944D-B23B-4149-AA53-E3486C09AFC0_zpsz5azwoke.jpg
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • dodgy
    I think your mudguards might do a better job if brought a bit closer to the tyre. I found the same on my Tripster, at first, basking in the joy of virtually unlimited clearance, I had them like yours. Then realised that bringing them a little closer massively improved things.
  • Red-Eye wrote:
    Got a 2014 Suffolk myself, great bike and looks better with mudguards IMHO. As previously stated, becareful when choosing bike size, I've got a 54 when my summer bike is a 56 or M/L. I also feel that the stem is a bit short, could do with an extra 10-20mm. I've tweaked my ride more from the picture, twisted bars more flat top & raised seat by approx. 10-15mm, all good now. Looks like it's going to be used a bit more now the weather is changing :-/

A bit of a thread resurrection but what mudguards are those, I'm looking to get a Whyte Dorset but the Whyte mudguards look a bit short at the back.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Winter mode,

80A017C6-7E81-46D2-B9E8-C5E657174D92_zpscsyz94xd.jpg

77FC8297-5575-441E-B94B-D3DEDF10E98E_zpsgriokq3b.jpg

95DE944D-B23B-4149-AA53-E3486C09AFC0_zpsz5azwoke.jpg

Are they the Whyte guards you're running? I got the same bike with the Whyte guards and my first ride with them in the wet today got the same sort of mess on the bike. I thought with guards made for the bike they'd cover better!

Great bikes though. Living mine at the moment. Got a 58cm and need a slightly shorter stem and I'm not fussed about the bars so they'll both be changed as soon as. Apart from that, there's nothing I'd change for once!
  • Yes they are the Whyte guards, but to be fair I had ridden down a wet quarry road, that's why there is so much mess.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • dodgy
    Yes they are the Whyte guards, but to be fair I had ridden down a wet quarry road, that's why there is so much mess.

And sorry to repeat myself, but they could do with bringing closer to the tyre for more protection. But having loads of clearance is great!
  • I'm not sure I can get mine any closer. The front is as low as it can go at the crown and also the side rods are on the shortest setting. Same for the rear. It did keep the bike almost clean though so it's good enough for me. I'll just stay well clear of quarry roads :D
  • Red-Eye wrote:

A bit of a thread resurrection but what mudguards are those, I'm looking to get a Whyte Dorset but the Whyte mudguards look a bit short at the back.

Hi mate, they are SKS Chromplastic, they took a couple of hours to fit properly but once done they are easy to remove if required but then fit back on without any fuss or adjustment. Would def recommend as you can get a nice tyre/mud guard fit and I'm running Conti 4s at 25mm soon to change to vittoria open page 27mm
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Are they the Whyte guards you're running? I got the same bike with the Whyte guards and my first ride with them in the wet today got the same sort of mess on the bike. I thought with guards made for the bike they'd cover better!

The front mudguard is too short - it needs to be much longer than that to stop all the spray. Either a large mudflap is needed or bin them and get some SKS longboards (which are actually too long for some bikes, but you can replace the flap with a shorter one).

And the back mudguard might keep you clean, but won't do much for anyone riding behind you.
    More problems but still living....