New bike 2 miles chain snapped!

deimosjohnny
deimosjohnny Posts: 135
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Not having any luck. Problems with my road bike now problems with my new MTB.

Different brands, different shops.

Might not have even got two miles on it when chain came apart. So i guess I am heading back to the shop tomorrow :cry:

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What gear were you in? Did you have the chain crossed over (big front-big rear or small front-small rear)? Chains don't snap for no reason.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Chain snapping on a new bike probably means it was badly joined at the factory. You should be able to tell if it broke at the joining link/pin.

Cross chaining won't break a properly joined new chain.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    and you can't be putting that much force through a big-big or small-small combo
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • It went on the link just after the join. Was not cross chaining was on a path and starting off again in a bit too low a gear to get started, think this is where the strain exposed the weak link and it was hanging on as 10 mins after on an easy bit the chain went.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    So it didnt snap after 2 miles - you rode another ten minutes after you think it was weakened (not even sure that is possible). Also too low a gear to get started? I assume again you mean too high?

Buy a quick link and fix the chain.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The bike in all had not been ridden for more than two miles it was my second time on it apart from a spin round the block.

I was in a "high" gear when i stopped to tie my shoe lace and when i started peddling again i was in a "high" gear heard a creak ping sound, thought is was just a new bike thing and so pedalled on down the path, pedalling but not exerting any really force for 5 to 10 minutes. First time I have to push there is a noise and look down to see chain broken.

Thanks for the responses.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Sounds like someone might have forced a pin back in rather than using a quick link.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5