17.5st Rider with Tyre Problems

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
So split my inner tube on last tyre

imagejpg2-1.jpg

After taking advise on here, use Conti 4 Season, now this and I have no idea why?

imagejpg2-2.jpg

imagejpg3-1.jpg

Was this a pinch?

Maybe Gatorskins are more my tyre???

Comments

• Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    What pressure were you running the tyres at and how long since you actually checked the pressure in them?

Your split inner tube is a trademark 'snakebite' puncture that usually occurs from running a tyre at too low pressure, allowing the tube to pinch against the rim on impact.

The split in the tyre tube is more unusual but could well have been the same case. Without knowing more it's impossible to say.
  • Jahmoo
    Rear runs at 100-105, I inflate my tyres before every ride.

The Tube was a different flat.

The tyre with the split, well it's only been on the bike for a couple of weeks, so done 100mls tops.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You've already flagged up this problem in your previous post

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12977648

Not wise to have 2 threads addressing the same problem. Mods may take issue with you but will probably be lenient as you're a new memeber
  • Jahmoo
    Thanks for pointing that out, without actually helping!!!

One was completely different, with me adding this to the end of another thread, where I was advised to get the tyres.

This is the actual thread that is asking the questions about the problems...

But again, thanks for your help!
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Try inflating to a higher psi,
    I'm a similar weight and run 120psi rear and 110 front and not yet had a problem with pinching

Geoff
  • Jahmoo
    Checked out many sites ref pressure and seems I can go to top end of tyre psi, which is 120 on the 4 Seasons, will have to pick up another tyre, bit harsh, but a lesson learnt...

Cheers for comments, not doofas ones :)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I am not sure you need a new tyre, but it is hard to see from your photos. Does that cut go all the way through or is it just a cut?

Tyres get cut up all the time (especially if you love somewhere flinty) - as long as it doesn't go all the way through the canvas, then usually it isn't an issue. Some people glue the cuts, I don't bother. Even if it goes all the way through, a boot will fix most tiny cuts like that.
  • Jahmoo
    marcusjb wrote:
    I am not sure you need a new tyre, but it is hard to see from your photos. Does that cut go all the way through or is it just a cut?

Tyres get cut up all the time (especially if you love somewhere flinty) - as long as it doesn't go all the way through the canvas, then usually it isn't an issue. Some people glue the cuts, I don't bother. Even if it goes all the way through, a boot will fix most tiny cuts like that.

Yes split goes all way through, I have patched it, but when tyre pumped up to 100psi you can see the orange of the patch.

I will swap tyres round, rear front as less psi and front back and start riding with tyre pumped to 120psi, May help with pinching....

imagejpg4-1.jpg
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Never ride a tyre that's been booted on the front for any longer than is needed (you don't want to boot it with an inner tube patch anyway - too stretchy). Failure on a front tyre is bad news, on the rear it's less bad news (still might involve hitting the deck, but less likely to).

Buy/make a proper tyre boot and I would have no worries riding that tyre, on the rear, until it wears out - it's a tiny cut.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    If you've got discs you've got clearance, so get a bigger tyre like a 28 mm, keep the same pressure you are running now and you'll be fine... and avoid potholes
    left the forum March 2023