Beckham...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Very intelligent or thick as two short planks?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Very good playing for Man United and Real Madrid where he had managers who would give him clear, simple instructions. OTOH, I remember him playing for England under Eriksson and McClaren and nearly chucking stuff at the TV as England were losing and Beckham just kept pumping long, high ball after long, high ball up to Owen and Rooney. The fact that they were both a good six or seven inches shorter than their markers and lost the aerial battles every single time didn't seen to register with him, so I'm going for the short planks.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191

Which Beckham?
  • pinno
    Cheers Finchy. My OH wanted 'evidence' because I too think the latter. My opinion wasn't enough.

In every interview he has ever given, I cannot recall him ever using any word of more than 2 syllables.
  • pinno
    JackPozzi wrote:

Which Beckham?

That's immaterial :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Well if you have to ask...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    If he has ever had any sentient thoughts he's certainly kept them well hidden when talking in interviews, he also sounds as bland and dull as anyone could possibly be. I don't think you could be intelligent and live his media driven lifestyle to be honest, I imagine anyone with brains would find it's banality stifling and unbearable.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    he has a shed load more money than any of us do, has built a business empire around his football skills, which is going some, seeing as he wasn't particularly good at it - so yes, def not thick as 2 short planks but not master mind material either, more The Apprentice perhaps?
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    What about the hateful Sky advert running at the moment where he must have been paid a fortune to just nod his head and hold a remote control!!

Farkin 'ell. The guy is a complete nobody, has been, ex-footballer/free kick taker with a miserable munter of a bird.

Why are we still subjected to this c0ck on telly, there's enough crap as there is.

Rant over.
  • ^ listen to Qube.

Beckham = genius. End of discussion.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Qube wrote:
    What about the hateful Sky advert running at the moment where he must have been paid a fortune to just nod his head and hold a remote control!!

Farkin 'ell. The guy is a complete nobody, has been, ex-footballer/free kick taker with a miserable munter of a bird.

Why are we still subjected to this c0ck on telly, there's enough crap as there is.

Rant over.

Come on don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think of him
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Unfair.

Very hardworking footballer, less talent than Paul Gascoigne but made the most of it. First to training, last to leave.

Bothered to go to Helmand with the troops and stayed overnight.

Worked hard on the Olympic and World Cup bids.

Always played his heart out for England

Decent bloke in my opinion.
  • Can we start a Rooney thread next...?
  • finchy
    carrock wrote:
    Unfair.

Very hardworking footballer, less talent than Paul Gascoigne but made the most of it. First to training, last to leave.

Bothered to go to Helmand with the troops and stayed overnight.

Worked hard on the Olympic and World Cup bids.

Always played his heart out for England

Decent bloke in my opinion.

The question was about his intelligence, not the other aspects of his personality.

Talking of Rooney, anyone remember when he got himself sent off for sarcastically applauding a referee? Then a few days later Beckham does exactly the same thing and gets himself sent off too... :roll: :roll: :roll:

(Or was it the other way round? Just to be on the safe side I'll say that at least one of those two is as thick as two short planks)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    think it was Graeme Le Saux that said on a football pitch Beckham had more intelligence than him as he could read the plays much quicker, whereas off the pitch...............

he only has enough intelligence to hire decent people to manage the family affairs - its worked out well for him
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    If he was thick he'd have pi$$ed his football money up the wall instead of becoming a successful businessman and putting his family first IMO.
  • Although Jade Goody was quite rich when she popped her clogs. And I seem to think her son was well sorted with a trustfund.

Didnt stop her being the thickest person in the UK.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I don't know. He's a celebrity who I don't know.

But. In the spirit of the question I'd guess he's of low to average intelligence. He came across in that Brasil program he did quite well. Seems to be polite, hard working friendly, funny bloke who gets unfairly labelled as being thick because of post match mundane interviews during his 20s when presumably he was a bit more shy on telly. footballers went through a phase of deliberately giving benign interviews (shearer) so we can't rule out that he was doing similar to separate his showbiz life from day to day football that he wanted to be seen to be totally focussed on.

As has been said, he's built a huge amount of cash, acted responsibly with it, and is intelligent enough to know that he needs challenges and focus in his life like this Miami franchise.

of course he's hired the right people and been advised and represented well. but im not sure he's thick.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Although Jade Goody was quite rich when she popped her clogs. And I seem to think her son was well sorted with a trustfund.

Indeed, I was wondering how many people would say he can't be thick because he's wealthy. The culture of celebrity has well and truly destroyed that assertion.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Although Jade Goody was quite rich when she popped her clogs. And I seem to think her son was well sorted with a trustfund.

Dumdog Millionaire
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Wtf has Jade Goody got to do with it? She became famous BECAUSE she was thick, Beckham did it through talent and hard work :roll:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915

Indeed, I was wondering how many people would say he can't be thick because he's wealthy. The culture of celebrity has well and truly destroyed that assertion.

I think both these people (Beckham and Goody) are good cases in point, both of them are not academically intelligent or particularly articulate but what they are is' smart'.

You might say that all they have is clever people around them (past tense in Goody's case) but it takes a kind of intelligence to take that advice and to pick the right people to advise you!

How many of us can bring up examples of good advice we didn't take. .....most of us would be my guess.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Has any University offered Beckham an honorary degree? Now that would be something... :lol:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Beckam's management and agents are clever. Making millions in fees of the back of his 'personality' (don't make me laugh).
    Have you ever counted how many times he says 'you know' when being interviewed ?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Beckam's management and agents are clever. Making millions in fees of the back of his 'personality' (don't make me laugh).
    Have you ever counted how many times he says 'you know' when being interviewed ?
    That is not a statement from David, it is a question.
    Because he doesn't know.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I'd gladly swap some of my IQ for a chunk of his money and a go on his missus.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Mr Goo wrote:

This.

It's certainly not him that's the sharp tack in the beckham camp, or her for that matter, just really good management.

Whenever I see either of them I'm always reminded of Rory McGrath's name for them, "Thick and Thin". :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Thing is, is his level of intellect really an issue for anyone? He had a reasonable level of talent in his chosen profession and has made a very good living from that combined with an element of charm and good looks. He hasn't ever claimed to be an intellectual genius but has made the most of what he has got which is surely all any of us can aspire to do? There's plenty of other people who are less intelligent and who appear to thrive on their stupidity alone and think it is something to be proud of.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross wrote:

Get yourself to Specsavers.
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:
    Thing is, is his level of intellect really an issue for anyone? He had a reasonable level of talent in his chosen profession and has made a very good living from that combined with an element of charm and good looks. He hasn't ever claimed to be an intellectual genius but has made the most of what he has got which is surely all any of us can aspire to do? There's plenty of other people who are less intelligent and who appear to thrive on their stupidity alone and think it is something to be proud of.

I've no problem with him being as thick as two short planks as kids don't look up to him for that (not that Beckham would be at fault if they did).
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:

Civilisation might collapse tomorrow and his money would be worthless. Then you'd be regretting losing your IQ.