17ton Man, which tyre is best :)

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

Some advise as usual please...

Riding the Roubaix Disc, I weigh 17.5tons... Ok stone :)

More fitness at the moment over racing, like to get some speed on shorter rides, but a long ride for me at this moment is only 25mls.

Ride was cut short yesterday due to puncture, worst kind, small stone went through tyre and inner tube, so standard Specialized tyres are rubbish, I hope :)

700x25 needed, so any advise would be appreciated....

If I missed any info needed let me know.

Jammy

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Vredestein fortezza tricomp is my recommendation. But they seem to,be out of stock everywhere at the moment :?

So I'm going to say either michelin pro4 endurance, or continental Grand Prix 4000 4 season.

The vredstein would be my choice if you can get them for ~£25, though.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I did weight over 16 stone and found 4 seasons tyres worked well with good grip and only a couple of punctures. They are not cheap though so the options in the above post are cheaper.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Not 17 stone personally, but experiences on the tandem (sorry - we are only just more than that combined) are good with 4 Seasons.

I also use them on my distance (most of the time) and commuting bikes.

They last well, really well. Grippy and reasonably fast. They are not the very fastest tyre, but faster usually means more fragile. Decent protection against deflations, a good strong tyre all in all. They really do sit at a good compromise point for tyres.
  • Jahmoo
    Continental GP 4 Seasons II purchased for my good bike.

This bike thing is bloody expensive :)

Thanks for your help people, appreciated ;)
  • kajjal
    Jahmoo wrote:

Your telling me, my wife now "authorises" my bike bits expenditure as I was getting a bit carried away :)
  • Jahmoo
    marcusjb wrote:
    Not 17 stone personally, but experiences on the tandem (sorry - we are only just more than that combined).

Obviously I am just big boned ;)
  • Jahmoo
    Kajjal wrote:
    Jahmoo wrote:

Your telling me, my wife now "authorises" my bike bits expenditure as I was getting a bit carried away :)

I have had to keep my new purchase very quiet as to costs and all the extras have all been seen as Wiggle delivery always comes whilst I am at work :(
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    Jahmoo wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Jahmoo wrote:

I have had to keep my new purchase very quiet as to costs and all the extras have all been seen as Wiggle delivery always comes whilst I am at work :(

I use collect Plus so i can sneak it all in under her radar
  • Jahmoo
    Continental GP 4 Season II fitted to my Roubaix and have to say they roll a lot better than the Armadillo Specialized Standard tyres, liking it a lot :)

Thanks for your help :)
  • kajjal
    Good to hear now start racking up the miles :)
  • Jahmoo
    So not many rides in and still the saga goes on....

Conti 4 Seasons Rear Split in a weird place and I have repaired it, but to be honest Tyre knackered!!!

Why, What and How?

imagejpg2-2.jpg

imagejpg3-1.jpg
  • kajjal
    What size tyre did you get and what pressure do you run them at ?

I am 15 and a half stone, have 23mm tyres at 105psi front and rear using a track pump to pump them up. As much as possible I avoid rough road surfaces, pot holes and debris on the road.
  • I think its more a question of where you ride and road conditions and surfaces compared to the tyres. You may have just been unlucky to get that puncture. However If you live and in for e.g. flint country then this is what can happen.

You either try to ride on less flinty/chipy roads, OR get heavier tyres with the heavier tyres you have a chance to pull the flint out before it works way through tyre. then you pay a penalty in tyre weight obviously.

You've upgraded to more durable tyres but in the end the are light and thin wrt to withstanding big hits.

'Just saying' IMO and IME etc etc.

Don't think it's a weight issue primarily
  • Jahmoo
    Use 700x25 and rear inflated to 100-105, 90 front.

Roads I use are as they are, not sure flinty, just roads round Statfield Saye, Mortimer, Risley, Bramley, Sherfield and Hook/Hartley Wespall.

Just a weird one, but will have to look at a heavier rear Tyre then.

Cheers for feedback